Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Another clear coat issue

I have a 77 930 with copper brown metallic paint. Paint code 443 for anyone interested.

I don't know the history of the paint, whether its a re-paint or original. The roof of the car, and to a lesser extent other areas look like some kind of solvent was rubbed on the car and left very noticeable swirl marks in the clear coat. The clear coat is not pealing.

Is there any kind of treatment I can apply to bring the clear coat back to some semblance of looking good? Other threads here seem to imply that wet sanding with fine grit sandpaper might work. If that is true, what might be the best to use and what else should I know about this process?

Repainting part or all of the car is not an option at this time.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I would try to buff it out, before sanding. If you do decide to wet sand, use 2000 grit or something light.
2012 Ford F150 Lariat
Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Photos??

95 993
75 911s 3.2
Old 12-12-2011, 02:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The photo's dont show very well. The 15:24 photo makes it look scratched but that is not the case. Its harder to see in the other photo but the picture is more representative of the problem.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: