Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Yes I'm doing jams and underside of lids
Old 03-06-2015, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you will burn up color from wasted over spray on little parts like bumpers and such so I would get 3 QT's to start off with . if you would really need another qt you can pick that up later .
a qt of Epoxy primer should also do to start off with .
all you need is one medium coat of that over the bare metal .
a Gal. of filler primer should do for 3 coats of primer over the complete car .
a Gal or clear is all you should need for 2 coats of clear .
if your going to color sand and buff the hole car from top to bottom front to back then plan on one extra coat of clear so you may need one extra QT of clear .
Old 03-07-2015, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Thanks for your time appreciate it.I'm assuming one quart of sealer as well?
Old 03-07-2015, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

yes sealer is the same one QT .
Old 03-07-2015, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Hi im doing my car in my Garage at home, so i can give you first hand experience in this if you want to see how theother side does it (amatuer)
I took my 911 to bare metal as i was converting it from cab to coupe and then sprayed the whole car including inside of doors , underbody, engine and bay etc etc, everywhere basically,

Also had to do a lot of welding but thats another story lol
Anyway
I bought Acrylic paint in arrow blue which was original car colour,
good thing when using Acrylic is that if your an amatuer like myself you can easily correct errors and make the end result as perfect as you want it to be, for extra protectioni could have used acrylic clear but i thought not to as i was happy with the finish,

Cost for the job

Primer 6 litres = $75
Arrow Blue 6 Litres $225
Thinners 10 litres $75

So the cost of doing whole car from bare metal cost me under $400 prob add another $50 for wet and dry paper and rubbing compound maybe another $50 for bits like paint strainers and disposable filters
So all up id Say under $500

I dont know anything about hardeners , epoxies etc as discussed here,
i believe that if you put the time into it you can get a concourse condition paint with a Modern single base acrylic if you wanted to.

The application varies so much with different opinions, but the end result is what matters and so far i am more happy with mine,
I applied one day/panel at a time in my garage first i sanded the panel i was going to paint back to bare metal and checked for rust and prev damage lucky there was/is none so far

I dont use any high build primer and wasnt going to use primer at all but decided to give it a coat anyway for extra security of keeping paint stuck to the metal,

i havent painted before and found it quite easy to do once i got the hang of it and watched a couple of youtube vids,

I sprayed primer on Bare Metal that i dry sanded with 320 grit and cleaned with alchohol,
Then did the paint
After 3 to 4 coats of paint i sanded with 1200 wet grit

Then i buff with cutting compound,

[I havent gotten around to waxing yet im going to do that when im sure the whole car is finished in case i have to resand an area, easy to do with acrylic if you find a mistake you can redo a section

I believe acrylic based paints are the ideal paint to use if doing it yourself at home in the garage, ive had flies land on my bonnet and left foot prints, no problem just sand it out

Ive been restoring my car over the last 2 years and have put on about 6000 kays in its current state, as mine is a daily driver and i cant have down time thats why im doing the painting in stages, im able to do a section and use the car the next day

Some people swear by 2 pack and some swear by Acrylic,
I dont believe one is better than the other and both have pros and cons, if anything Acrylic is better for me for the reasons i outlined above and because it wont stink up your garage and its underrated so its cheaper,

It must be good because the stuff i bought comes with a 5 year No Rust guarantee, i dont know of any other paints that can give the same written guarantee.

At the end of the day ive saved about 20k and i dont have to wait for weeks or months for my car to be finished by a stranger who god knows what shortcut he may have taken in order to finish the job.

Note* Ive never painted before except a room in a house once with a roller
And i know when im finished it will be showroom condition, (its not hard to do) just some elbow grease,

Still driving with only the one panel rubbed back so far (cant do that with fancy paints

Old 03-24-2015, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Sugar Scoops Rule :)

Garage
Dang - that looks pretty freaking good!! And a great color too.
'62 VW Type 1 Sunroof
'73 914 2.0 (1st Porsche, gone long ago but not forgotton)
Old 04-14-2015, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Stahlwerks.com

Send a message via Yahoo to jhelgesen
So what is the opinion for a long hood car staying covered most of the time? BC for ease, or SS for authenticity?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

SS and authenticity !
Old 04-20-2015, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Stahlwerks.com

Send a message via Yahoo to jhelgesen
Quote:
ss and authenticity !
:d
Old 04-20-2015, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: