Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Does Primer Protect From Rust?

Hi, hoping for some guidance.

If I primer (doing it in home garage), how long can I wait until it is painted? I have a lot of sanding to do. Will the metal be protected?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2016, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yes but use epoxy primer. It will protect from flash rust for a long time ......
Old 06-25-2016, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks. Do most primers contain epoxy. By "most", I mean the higher quality primers.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Read Freddie's tutorial at the top of this forum and go to your local jobber. I suggest you do your homework before painting your 911. There are several different types of primer and everyone has a specific use. Don't use rattle cans use quality paint. Porsche 962 is also a great resource. To answer your question no most primers don't contain epoxy, only epoxy primers contain epoxy. Epoxy is used over bare metal and can also be used as a sealer. Generally you use epoxy or etching primer on bare metal then a 2k primer then you block reapply block some more then either a sealer or your basecoat then clear coat. If your doing single stage paint epoxy,2k,sealer, topcoat.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. However, I can only do a little bodywork at a time. I am focusing on the trunk and engine bay at the moment. There will be some time between primer and top coat.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

primes do nothing to protect a substrate from rust that is not what they are designed to do .
primers are used for adhesion epoxy primers are used over bare metals for this reason .
they are used for this because filler primes or build primers will not stick to bare metals all to well .
filler primers are used for things like going over body filler work or a substrate you want to block sand nice and smooth and straight .
if your doing a job in your shop that will take some time (say a year plus ) you will be ok to use an epoxy primer with out any rust problems but this is a kind of only to a point type thing .
moisture humidity will and does go right thru all primers epoxy , etch , filler no matter what type it is .
a chromated primer is more a type primer you would want to use . 1st the chromate will replace the zinc or galvanized coating on the car from the factory that your sanding and grinding will remover . then the chromate will also but only to a point help with surface rust .
not all epoxy and etch primers are chromated with the EPA laws becoming more strict less and less primers are being offered with chromates .
with a chromate primer it will buy you a little time but not much . again primers do not hold out moisture it's not what they are designed to do .
only a cars top coat will protect a cars substrate from rusting .
what we do in my shop on long term project cars is 1st cover the floor under it with big pieces of cardboard from bumper boxes . this will help stop moisture coming up from the concrete floor .
you would still have to replace the cardboard every few weeks as the cardboard will only soak up so much moisture .
we also cover cars with 36" masking paper then go over that with plastic sheeting you use for covering a car for painting .
the paper will also do the same as the cardboard and suck up moisture but it too has to be changed out every few weeks .
Old 06-26-2016, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The RM epoxy primer is good stuff (basf) about $78 a quart. I shot a 2k primer over the epoxy the same day for proper chemical bonding.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I see the Master has responded, your in good hands now. If it wasn't for 962 I know my paint job wouldn't have turned out so well.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmulvan View Post
I see the Master has responded, your in good hands now. If it wasn't for 962 I know my paint job wouldn't have turned out so well.
thanks
Old 06-26-2016, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I like that "the master". I also rely heavily on what 962 has to say. Its never bad info !!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses.

So....how long is it acceptable to leave bare metal? Thanks again!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

Just how much bare metal are we looking at ?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If I strip the engine bay to bare metal...how long can it be bare? Or does it make sense to leave some of the paint on without going to bare metal?
Old 06-29-2016, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

it's always best to get a proper primer back on any bare areas ASAP .
is there a reason as to why you need it left in bare metal ?
if we needed to strip a engine bay down to bare right after we stripped it we would immediately blow the area off and wipe it down with glasurit's 360-4 metal cleaner . mask the area off and then spray one to two coats of RM's EP primer down .
at that point you will have some protection on the bare metal and it will give you time to work on other areas of the car .
just because you have primer on that area it doesn't mean you have all the time in the world .
you still have a window you will need to get top coat down to really protect the metal .
if you have a dry shop with out lots of humidity you will be ok for about a year at best .

i'm not a fan of the metal treatments on the markets . i have seen to much bad happen form them to endorse any of them . right now i'm redoing the interior of a 1939 ford because the shop that did the resto 7 years ago used some of the metal treatment and now the interior finish is/ was pealing off . the car owner told me they stripped the finish off and used a metal treatment and let the car sit for about a year before they applied primer over the treatment .
so the car owner is pissed at the shop the shop is saying it's not there fault and wanted the paint co to pay for the redo and the paint co is blaming the treatment co. and the treatment co. is saying it's not there product .
the car owner contacted me as he doesn't want to pay the shop that screwed up the 1st time to do any thing else on his car .
this is why i always say find a product line and stay with in that product line from bare metal to top coat .
Old 06-30-2016, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Is there some magic to keep the rust from coming back?

In my 20's, had a 911 with some minor surface rust next to the head light. Being poor at the time I:

1) sanded 2) rust converted 3) primed (krylon) 4) painted (krylon)... it rusted within 2 months...

Now, having more resources, was fixing a rust spot on my cargo van...

So I

1) Sandblasted the spot 2) Used dupont metal prep 3) 2 coats epoxy primer 4) catalyzed 2 part dupont paint

Within 1 winter, it started bubbling and rusting again...

Another spot I just sanded, and painted with a brush and rustoleum. Looks great 4 years later. Doesnt color match, but no rust...

Why???
Old 06-30-2016, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks again. Terrific information.

I will use a system. Probably RM. Hopefully will get the engine bay done this week.

Is truly any benefit to bare metal??

Last edited by jamesjedi; 06-30-2016 at 06:08 AM..
Old 06-30-2016, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: