Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question help needed hood rust repair

Ive been wanting to learn to repair sheetmetal for a while now and i found the perfect project to start but as usual I bit more than I can chew so Im asking for tips and techniques you guys might know so i can get this fixed.

Ive been contemplating many options but i dont know which one is the best route to go btw. I have an angle grinder, hammer and dolly kit and a MIG welder
my options are:

i. cut all the rust out and try to replace with new metal? this was the original plan but there are some compound curves and shapes I dont thinlk are going to be that easy to replace without proper tools which I dont have (english wheel)

ii. look for a replacement panel specifically the top right corner so i can cut and weld the new one in including the hinge mount etc

iii. convert it to a short hood underside and de-skin the long hood to weld it on top

iiii. look for a short hood which are not easy to come by over here and just weld the extension from this one on it

I dont really like the last two because I think this may overcomplicate things and I would really like to save this hood instead of cutting it and welding it to a new one

any comment appreciated and also if you have any insights into what gauge sheetmetal to use or any techniques any comment is welcome

regards

Old 06-19-2018, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not worth fixing I would source a used hood from a fellow pelican.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

unfortunately the stage of rust that this hood has .. you will fix the known areas only to have new areas appear in the near future...
Old 06-24-2018, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

unfortunately the stage of rust that this hood has .. you will fix the known areas only to have new areas appear in the near future... If this was the last hood on earth and you had to fix it , you would have to completely removr the skin and then totally over haul the frame pieces and then reassemble. not impossible but kind of like making mount Everest your first ever hike...
Old 06-24-2018, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply guys!
I just started working on the hood, removing all the paint and discovered that it was surely a race/hot rod car hood because I found evidence of hood pins and center mounted gas filler.

I tried unfolding the corners to see if I can get the underside off and it seems like its working so the plan is removing the whole top frame, repairing from the underside which I already flattened a few dents with the hammer/dolly and installing a new shorthood underside so I can gfet rid of all the rust and make sure this doesn't come to bite me later on

I agree it is probably too much hassle for a hood but believe me they're pretty difficult to come by over here and at least im learning right?

Best regards
Old 06-27-2018, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have a red short hood for sale if you need one
Old 06-27-2018, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster911 View Post
I have a red short hood for sale if you need one
speedster911 could be your new best friend.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: