Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Wiring connector problem

1978 SC right-hand drive UK car

I decided to finally strip out and re-route all the alarm cabling in my car. In doing so I unplugged a number of connectors under the dash. I thought it would be easy to re-connect these but what I am finding is that when I am plugging in the one for the ignition switch, on re-connecting the battery I'm getting a noise under the dash that I have never heard before so wonder if I am plugging it in the correct socket. Here is a photo of 3 plugs I need to re-connect (that all have 5 pins - there are two other plugs that have 6 pins):

The one on the top left is for the ignition switch. It has 5 wires: 2 red, one red/black, one red/yellow and one yellow. The yellow one has been cut and interrupted with cables going to the alarm which presumably would immobilize the solenoid? The next photo is a shot of one of the sockets (not the one I am plugging into but just as an example - I had trouble getting a decent shot of the one I'm plugging into)

You can see that this socket has one blank slot and the plug on the right would seem to be the one for this socket as the blanks line up. So I plugged the ignition switch plug into a socket that appeared to match up the blanks - this is the one close to and slightly above the ignition switch. Am I plugging it into the correct one?
Old 11-09-2018, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Kroon Wire Harnesses

Garage
Please take a look at the pictures and compare with the female connectors in your car.

The lower one is for the headlight switch, it connects to the female plug that has no pin 4

Top left is the ignition switch, the female plug has no pin 1

Top right is steering column turn signal switch , the female plug has no pin 6

I think this will help, otherwise just contact us at info@kroonwireharnesses.com

Check also our Facebookpage: https://www.facebook.com/kroon.wireharnesses
Old 11-09-2018, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

they are all keyed so you cant get them wrong.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 11-09-2018, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I was connecting it correctly and trying again I now realize the horrible noise I could hear on re-connecting the battery was actually the windscreen wipers scraping across a dry screen. From under the bonnet (hood) I couldn't see them moving and thought I had introduced a short circuit and quickly disconnected the battery before smoke started to appear. Turns out with all the struggle I've had under the dash that I had flipped the wiper stalk upwards. Mystery solved! I didn't realize the wipers worked without the ignition on.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: