Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Heater Handle Knob Replacement

As I recall, long time ago here, somebody soaked their heater handles in red dye, then repainted the white part. Excellent results.

I am far too lazy (or busy, depending on your perspective) for this. Our host sells these for $15. I'd get them if I was confident they are easy to get off/onto the levers. Can anybody report about ease of installation?

Old 04-14-2019, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Installation is just tapping back onto the lever. I’d spend a few more bucks for the aluminum version from Rennline.

The sun and heat not only fades the color, but makes the handles brittle. Getting them off isn’t much of a problem. Getting them off in one piece might be.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

How ironical! I started attempting this 1/2 hour ago and gave up. So I'll be very interested in the answers.

I have a feeling that in removing them, they'll be destroyed. It's probably not worth trying to save them, but I'm going to use a heat gun and try to tap them off with a hammer and drift punch.

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 04-14-2019, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Try wrapping something like paracord beneath the base and pull in the same axis as the lever while tapping on the handle itself. I should add that I had my seats out when I pulled the handles off so it was a bit easier.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

And one of mine did crumble at the base, but I had replacements in hand.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
Id spend a few more bucks for the aluminum version from Rennline.

The sun and heat not only fades the color, but makes the handles brittle.
We don't get sun and heat here, and I like the look of the originals. It sounds like they might come off in pieces, maybe, but are otherwise easy to install.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wildman Emeritus

I did they dye thing years ago. Has held up well.
Just took a crescent wrench, adjusted it to lever thickness, put a cloth between it and the handle and tapped with a hammer. Similar to removing shift knob. Came off easily and with no damage.
However, I did not brush the lettering; painted the face and carefully wiped the surface leaving the recessed lettering filled.
2018 BMW X1- Wife's
2000 Boxter - Sold
Old 04-15-2019, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
These are cool...My factory handles were a serious PITA to remove. But I got'r done.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I went all-black, too.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
if you are not worried about saving the originals ... dremel them off
Old 04-15-2019, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I always thought Rennline should make these. Billet aluminum with an allen set screw. DONE.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe payne View Post
I always thought Rennline should make these. Billet aluminum with an allen set screw. DONE.
They do!
Rennline Aluminum Heater Control Knob-Rennline, Inc.
Instagram: @rennsport98
Old 04-15-2019, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I put in the ones in the original post with little issue. At the time my originals were around 24 years old and badly baked and faded (targa car and PO lived in GA and FL).

Tapped the old ones off which came off pretty easy. Firmly slid on the new ones with a tiny dab of superglue applied to the metal levers for extra security. Haven't budged in 15 years and still look great. I can't recall it being more than a 15-20 minute project, but sounds like I was lucky.

Last edited by schoward; 04-16-2019 at 08:07 PM..
Old 04-16-2019, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

If you haven't got your old knobs off yet, instead of trying to pull them off, try using a pair of pliers with the jaws straddling the heater lever or arm right behind the knob. Them with a light hammer, tap your pliers to knock the knob off the end of the lever.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: