Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need help returning car radio back to stock - 77 911S

Hello, we recently purchased a 77 911S Targa that originally had a Bamberg radio installed but the PO replaced the head-unit and left the console mounted microphone. Since purchasing the car we were fortunate to find an NOS Bamberg radio and are excited to get it installed.

That said, does anyone have guidance on where the various components mount? Pictures and tips would be greatly appreciated.

btw. we post a bit on 914World and it is an unwritten law for newbies to provide pictures, so added a shot of the interior.

cheers
Old 08-05-2019, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

bump for help.

adding exterior picture — polar blue . she is close to stock.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
OK,

Let's first see what you have as I am unfamiliar with the 'components' of that Bamberg.

FIRST : is there a Blaupunkt product code like SQRxx on the radio so we can find the docs ? There have been several Bamberg models

Is it this one ? http://antique-autoradio-madness.org/Blaupunkt/Blaup_79/Blaup_79_7.639.545.htm
If it is the SQR82, the German Porsche forum has this for you : https://www.pff.de/wcf/index.php?attachment/346200-blaupunkt-sqr-82-pdf/

If not, please answer following questions
1_ pic of rear of radio head unit
2_ is there a separate amplifier ?
3_ what cables / connectors (and colors) run to the radio now ?

On the wiring diagram I have of a 1978, I do not really see the audio installation. Will try to look for the tech manual.

Or use forum search ;-) ... and try to contact anyone from this prev threads :
1977 Blaupunkt Bamberg set up
Blaupunkt Bamberg QTS
Porsche 911 SC Blaupunkt Bamberg QTS~I need help

Or... http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/308/Radio.htm

Last edited by FrankM_; 08-09-2019 at 03:21 AM..
Old 08-09-2019, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the useful links, I did search but your discovery was much better . The unit is the same as: 1977 Blaupunkt Bamberg set up.

I’ll send pictures of the box and unit on Sunday.

Thank you.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
cycling has-been

The remote function selector mounts on top of the console and plugs into the 20 pin connector wire in the back of the radio.

The FM signal enhancer gets mounted behind the wood floorboard on the passenger side. It gets a signal from the external antenna and plugs the hard line into the other 20 pin connector on the rear of the radio. If the car did come with a Bamberg, there will already be holes in the floorboard. You might even get lucky and find the original converter still in situ.

I left the mike wired to the remote function selector as it will never be used. If the cassette tape plastic gears are still working, they won't be for long. I recommend not using the cassette at all.

I think all of the Bambergs used the automatic antenna so that's more wiring you have to figure out. I installed a manual up/down micro rocker switch in the console, so the antenna doesn't actuate every time I shut off the ignition. You can power the antenna from the back of the radio. The 12 volt source wire will route it out to the antenna via the spade terminal directly over the 12 volt spade, if you want that setup.
Help with Bamberg install

and... after all that, you have to figure how to set the frequency, range, station select, and memory.
Not as easy as it sounds.

Bill K

Last edited by bkreigsr; 08-17-2019 at 08:54 AM..
Old 08-17-2019, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: