Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Draining Fuel Tank

So, I'm finally getting around to working on a project roller I purchased over three years ago. I thought the tank had been drained but I am mistaken. I removed the return line and got some drips from the hose side. I then pulled the supply side hose from the tank and got a very slow drip. I put a 5 gallon bucket under it and let it drip.....this was three days ago. I now have about 2 gallons in the bucket.

Last night I took a large zip tie and pushed it through the supply side opening of the tank and got some "squishy" resistance....but, no additional flow when I pulled it back out. Next up is to open it from the top and see what's left.

My question is what is the squishy material I felt? Gas has gone bad long ago and smells terrible! I'm wondering if this is a by product from old gas?
Old 08-09-2019, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

correct the fuel has turned to crap
Old 08-09-2019, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Yes it's old gas. Isn't there a large plug on the bottom of the tank to drain it? I know there's one on my car. Drain the tank, pull the sending unit off the top of the tank, look inside and determine a course of action from there. Having sat for so long you could have some rust in the tank.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Squishy substance - Like Nick said bad gas.

Just cleaned out a lawnmower carburetor which had sat for several years. The fuel had turned into a jelly like substance with a bad smell.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
...looks like the next step is to open from the top and siphon off if still full. Or, if fairly low, use large drain at bottom.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon in STL View Post
...looks like the next step is to open from the top and siphon off if still full. Or, if fairly low, use large drain at bottom.
Yeah, you need a pretty big catch container if the tank has much fuel in it. I put my car up on stands and cut off a plastic 55 gallon drum when I drained my tank.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
drain fuel tank

The way to do it is to open the tank bottom plug by using the reverse side of your spark plug wrench. and then clean or even better, replace the small screen. Make sure there is little fuel left in your tank.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
Check rusty areas on tank before cleaning

, I disconnected the fuel line in the engine bay, installed about 6 feet of hose, hot wired the pump, which fed the fuel into several gas cans, pulled the tank, sloshed around super clean several times, stuck my pressure washer in there and shot it at every angle I could think of, rinsed and let the tank dry in the sun
I then set about cleaning up the rusty areas on the tank with a wire wheel in a 18 volt drill. I chased some rust on top of the front flange under some of the schutz and up the front of the tank. Some of the schutz could be scraped off with a putty knife. I was bummed to find some pin holes through the front of the tank, just up from the flange.
i did not want to try epoxy, or welding - time for a new tank.

So the point is to drain the tank, let it "dry" out and start investigating for potential leaks. The scale and rust were not YET leaking on my tank.

Bought a galvanized tank with a screen filter from our host.

Good luck
chris
Old 08-10-2019, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

There is a screen on the supply bung of the tank. That is what you are feeling. Don't try to jam a screwdriver in, or anything like that. See if you could open up the port where the return line goes. Also, you will want to remove the supply side bung, and thoroughly clean the screen.

An easier way to get the fuel out is to remove the fuel level sender, and then use a transfer pump from the top.
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2015 Yamaha R3
1965 Suzuki k15 Hillbilly, 1975 Suzuki GT750
Old 08-10-2019, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
not all the crap will come out by draining thru the ... ah... bung hole
Old 08-10-2019, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
not all the crap will come out by draining thru the ... ah... bung hole
I think this is how you handle it

Old 08-10-2019, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I ended up pulling the fuel level sensor on top, siphoning out as much gas as possible, then removed the main drain plug on the bottom. I then removed the tank completely and will drain whats left into my container.

There is lots of gunk that I'll need to clean out. The good thing is the tank appears pretty solid.

Question.....what to do with the old nasty gas?
Old 08-12-2019, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
how nasty is the old nasty gas?

if a gel, it can be air stripped, then the residue can be treated as hazardous waste at your local transfer stn.

if liquid, just add it - up to 10% - to your other car or lawnmower
Old 08-12-2019, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
Hazardous household waste...

Our local dump/transfer station/recycling cccenter has a free "hazardous" waste day, first Saturday, every month. Your local "hazardous" waste handling procedure most likely will differ, give them a call.
They may also have a limit on the number of gallons, packaging, or marking. A little checking on requirements will ease the disposal.

Some times, they will return your gas can/container, again checking will avoid some un happiness/grief at the possible loss of your favorite Jeep gas can.

Give them a call
Old 08-12-2019, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like I may be able to dump it for free at the local "household hazardous waste" facility. Although it is still a fluid....the color is close to the color of oil. Probably best to just dump it!
Old 08-13-2019, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: