Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

911 SC - Another Battery Thread

I’m replacing the conventional lead-acid battery currently in my 1979 911 SC. The car is a European coupe with a bit of a hot rod 3.0 with Webers. I have questions, but I do also hope that having this information in one place is helpful.

Odyssey PC925T - From reading other threads, the PC925 and PC680 are popular options. The PC925 has higher CCA and nominal capacity at the cost of higher weight. I linked the “T” model because it comes with the SAE terminals, which I believe to be correct for the 911 SC.

Group 48/H6 AGM Battery - There are many brands that make this size/specification battery. Interstate is a popular choice; the model numbers are H6 (MTP91) and H8 (MTP93). H6 is the smaller of the two, but either will fit the original battery location in a 911 SC.

I believe Odyssey makes a Group 48/H6 battery; it is the 48-720
I believe Odyssey makes a Group 49/H8 battery; it is the 49-950

Here are my questions:
  1. Can anyone confirm the terminals on the PC925T are correct for a 911 SC? Is that the correct model for the 911 SC? There are multiple different PC925 models.
  2. For the smaller PC680 and PC925 batteries, what are people using to securely mount them? Odyssey sells generic application mounting kits, Rennline sells one, and I’ve seen plenty of custom mounts. I don’t mind making my own, but the kits may have some nice features.
  3. Has anyone used an Odyssey 48-720 in this application?
  4. I leave my cars on battery tenders over the winter. I use Battery Tender Plus tenders. It's unclear to me if I need to a different tender for AGM batteries; any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by Locker537; 08-14-2019 at 05:31 AM..
Old 08-14-2019, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

2 years ago I searched and pondered and spent way too much time trying to decide on a battery for my 82SC. In the end I wound up buying the T6-DLG from Autozone. It's not an AGM battery but it was made in Germany and fresh on the shelf at the local store. It has a 3 year full replacement warranty and then another 2 years prorated. It fits the smaller of the 2 factory hold down spots like a glove. It spins my SC engine over with authority. I've got summer performance tires on the car so it doesn't get driven when the temps are 40 and below. I probably drive the car 60 (Sixty) miles at one time per month on average. Otherwise it sits in my garage. I've never used a battery tender/charger with it. The 38 year old clock in the dash still works.

1) It works
2) It fits great
3) 5 year warranty
4) Autozone store locations in the USA are a dime a dozen should I need to use the warranty.

Last edited by SCadaddle; 08-14-2019 at 03:11 PM..
Old 08-14-2019, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

SCadaddle, makes sense to me!

I checked with my local auto parts store today. They carry Odyssey and had the 48-720 in stock. Given the availability, price, and OE size, I decided to go with it.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
There was a thread about alternators, regulators and over-charging a while back. The theory was something about AGM batteries not being compatible with our ancient charging systems.

Does anyone have any experience with AGM batteries in 911s?
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 08-14-2019, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I ran a PC680 for about 4 years before it died. I deep cycled it a few times on accident, eventually it didn't hold a charge anymore. I replaced it with a Group 48 or 49, IIRC both are compatible, I chose the smaller of the two. There's two holes you can bolt the OEM clamp down at.

For my PC680 I bought bolt-on SAE terminals from eBay and built my own mount from some steel bar stock and threaded rod. Not pretty but worked great and passed tech. There's $$$ options out there if you want them.

~30lb difference:
Old 08-15-2019, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
There was a thread about alternators, regulators and over-charging a while back. The theory was something about AGM batteries not being compatible with our ancient charging systems.

Does anyone have any experience with AGM batteries in 911s?
I've been running a group 48 agm battery that I purchased at auto zone for around 6+ years without issue. Both the odyssey and optima batteries are also agm-type batteries (which use the same chemistry and have the same voltage cell-to-cell as traditional "wet" lead acid batteries)

Could you be thinking of lithium ion batteries (which can be super lightweight but can also be more sensitive to charging voltage, etc.)?
Old 08-15-2019, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

83 SC

Garage
Canít help you with odyssey but my autocraft (made in Germany) platinum agm group H6 from advance auto parts went into my SC no problem and has correct size terminals.

My car is always on a battery tender when Iím not driving it and I have watched it go from red to blinking red to green no problem so Iím assuming it will do the job
Old 08-15-2019, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thank you all for the replies!

I'll confirm which common tenders work with AGM batteries and report back my findings.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
When i said battery tender above, Iím referring to the brand ďbattery tenderĒ. Mine is 20 years old and still going strong despite it being lopsided from my front tires hitting it when I pull in garage. Tough little bastard
Old 08-15-2019, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I use the brand Battery Tender as well. Specifically the Battery Tender Plus model.

I have two of them, one is quite old, and I've been happy. I double checked the specs on that model and it specifically says safe for AGM.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Reiver

I tried the Odyssey for awhile and it worked fine...until it rained one day...with the headlights on and the wipers going I noted the fluctuation in the volt gauge every wiper swipe...serious change. No AC in the car just the radio.
I figured my alternator was working a tad too hard with that battery so went back to a larger AGM. Under the same circumstances not an issue anymore.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: