Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

VEMS ecu install : my first issue!!

I just started the install of the VEMS ecu kit, and with in 30 minutes I faced my first issue, the new TPS sensor that was included with the kit does not line up correctly to be able to use its connecotr!

Its simply hitting the intake main plenum, that TPS can only be fixed that way because of the notch on the TB shaft, did I get the wrong TPS or is there something that I did wrong???
Old 10-19-2019, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Upside down? Shouldn't the electrical connector face away from the plenum?
Old 10-19-2019, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanaudical View Post
Upside down? Shouldn't the electrical connector face away from the plenum?
the shaft has a notch and it only can slide in that way.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What if you disassemble the shaft and rotate it 180 degrees? There are two screws securing the throttle plate to the shaft. I am sure I saw this in someone’s TPS system but don’t remember who and can’t find the instructions they laid out, but it should be obvious what to do. Remove screws, pull out shaft, rotate 180 deg and reinsert. Put screws back on.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I wonder if you could use the lower screw on the right side of the picture (throttle body) and keep the TPS centered while creating a "slotted" adaptor plate for the left side to find the corresponding position for a nut and screw.

Is that a 3.2 throttle body? … looks a little different. Also, the PET does show the sensor pointed forwardish - but it's a throttle switch, not a TPS that was used on the 3.2, right?

I just used a 3.0 throttle body that has the same 64mm throat and the "D"? shaft for attaching the TPS... but, it does seem you should be able to fashion your own adaptor as the D shaped shaft end would allow some in-out adjustment room.

good luck,

1973 E Targa

Last edited by targa44; 10-19-2019 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: .
Old 10-19-2019, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I believe you have to flip the throttle butterfly rod to make that particular TPS work. There are others out there that are direct swaps. Turbokraft sells the kit with the TPS
https://parts.turbokraft.com/collections/911/products/throttle-position-sensor-set-late-models
Old 10-20-2019, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
The Turbocraft tps works perfect on a 3.2...
Old 10-20-2019, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I made a small modification to the butterfly shaft and now its working fine, thanks guys for all the suggestions!
Old 10-20-2019, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

hmmm.... out of curiosity, how'd you make the "small" modification to the butterfly?

1973 E Targa
Old 10-20-2019, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa44 View Post
hmmm.... out of curiosity, how'd you make the "small" modification to the butterfly?
I used the dremel tool to make another notch on the shaft, not the best solution but it did the trick.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
That is very unfortunate. I checked the records and apparently supplier has sent wrong batch of sensors. Order them 20-30 pcs at a time, that was 4th sent out (first of this batch for 3.2) and for 944's it does not matter which way you use it, 3.2 needs to have correct orientation.

I can send you correct one if you want?
'90 944 S2 Cabriolet
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Old 10-21-2019, 12:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboy View Post
That is very unfortunate. I checked the records and apparently supplier has sent wrong batch of sensors. Order them 20-30 pcs at a time, that was 4th sent out (first of this batch for 3.2) and for 944's it does not matter which way you use it, 3.2 needs to have correct orientation.

I can send you correct one if you want?
Yes please, I need it to be installed correctly to prevent any future issues. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: