Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

993 ac belt question

Hi all,

I changed the belts on my 1996 993 (2wd coupe) yesterday. I used the ContiTech belts sold by our host.

The fan belt fit perfectly.

The alternator belt fit; I had to go down to a single shim between the pulley halves, but it fit.

The AC belt seems to be too tight- had to remove all the compressor mounting bolts to get it on, and then it took a good pull to get the last bolt in the hole. I was able to get it on there, and the bolts are in and tight, but there is no adjustment on the adjustment screw and it is rather tighter than the other two. It deflects a few mm under finger pressure, but it's a lot longer belt than the other two and I expect more deflection. Seems like potential to wear the compressor bearings and/ or reduce belt life.

Anyone else seen this? Am I just being paranoid? Should I have used the Porsche part?

Are there two different ac belts for this car? I ask because the AC compressor doesn't mount directly to the bracket- there is a little intermediate aluminum platform - maybe 1/2" tall- that goes between the two. With that removed it seems the belt would probably fit, with some tension on the adjuster.

Thanks,
Dan

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Old 01-08-2020, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Red Line Service

Garage
A/C belts are always tight, but a non-factory alternator belt may be an issue. If you get a check engine light for mis-fire, throw the Conti belt in the trash and put a dealer alternator belt on it.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, that was spot on. Alternator belt already broke. Maybe put 200 miles on it. What a piece of junk.

AC belt is now upside down. Will that recover or should I replace that again too?

Dan

Old 02-13-2020, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

F

Old 02-13-2020, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: