Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Spumato
Fuel leak in engine bay... can't find source

All,

The last time I drove my PCAR, I was hyper aware of a much stronger than usual fuel smell. So I turned around and made my way home. Fortunately, nothing catastrophic happened. But I was able to see that there is some seepage onto the block and surrounding areas from the photos that I have included.

I suspected that it may be the low-pressure fuel return line, so I disconnected it from the hard return line, WUR, and the Fuel Distributor and was able to completely remove and inspect the line. At present, I do not believe this to be the source of the leak.

So as being stumped, I have turned to Pelican to see if anyone has encountered the same, or can suggest where to look.

Thanks in advance. - Ryan

Old 04-24-2020, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The return line has very little pressure, and you say it was checked. The only other things in the area I can think of is the injector or line to it, and possibly the WUR.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would be suspicious of those non- stock rubber hoses and screw clamps. Not good with cis pressures.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 04-24-2020, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Fuel leak test.........

Ryan,

If I were doing this investigation, I will do the following:
a). Clean and degrease the area shown in your picture. Blow dry the surrounding area.
b). Test run the fuel pump and inspect for fuel leak. If there is a leak, it will show up.
c). The delivery or pressure side will be easy to spot but the return lines depending on the size of the leak will tend to drip less.
d). Pinching the main return line to the gas tank while the FP is running will build pressure within the system resulting to more fuel leak to flow out.

Stay safe.

Tony
Old 04-24-2020, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

AND keep a fire extinguisher on hand while you are working on this.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Subscribed, as this needs a lot of care with the Fuel Lines & Hoses.

Tony is giving you the absolute correct way to proceed, and John Walker has seen it all and is the Wizard of all things Porsche.

This looks like a 74 2.7 motor....

IF it is, and you have the original White Nylon (likely turned Brown) Tunnel Lines to a Rear Fuel Pump, they are overdue to be replaced. And yes, every fuel line showing in your photos as well.

Replace these hoses before you have a disaster on your hands.

Len

Old 04-24-2020, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Spumato
For Len,

Can I clean off the engine with brake cleaner?
Also, do you make replacement parts that you suggest that I use instead of the carb lines procured from O'Reillys?
Old 05-01-2020, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Hello Ryan,

Yes, Brake Clean is mild enough to not harm paint or electrical as long as its wiped off or allowed to evaporate.

We have used "Gunk" engine degreaser for years and that works well. You hose it down afterwards, and it gives good results.

Other Pelicans may have recommendations as well. This forum is such a great resource of information.

Stay healthy everyone, and Have a Great Porsche Day!

Len

Old 05-01-2020, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterGT View Post

Yes, Brake Clean is mild enough to not harm paint...)
That would depend on the paint.....always test in areas that don't matter.....
PCA GT-3R #3
Old 05-01-2020, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Engine degreasing.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spumato View Post
For Len,

Can I clean off the engine with brake cleaner?
Also, do you make replacement parts that you suggest that I use instead of the carb lines procured from O'Reillys?

Brake cleaner will do but I would recommend SIMPLE GREEN (all purpose degreaser) instead.

Tony
Old 05-01-2020, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Simple Green works well also.
Thanks Tony.

Len

Old 05-01-2020, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

A leak I found on a customer car some years ago.

RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 05-03-2020, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

leak

Obviously the spark plug wires were in good shape.Thank you Jesus.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The accumulator has a diaphragm internally. If it fails, fuel gets by it. I believe it has a weep hole in the bottom to expel the errant fuel. That seems foolish, but I believe that is how it is set up. Could be losing a small amount that evaporates before it is evident
Old 05-04-2020, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
CO2, halon or halotron??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
AND keep a fire extinguisher on hand while you are working on this.
Just trying to help out the OP, but what do you guys think about non dry chemical extinguishers for engine compartment fires?? Dry chemical makes a hell of a mess and is corrosive to our engines and needs to get cleaned up right after??
chris
Old 05-04-2020, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I plan on getting one or two of these:
https://firesafetystick.com/protecting-your-classic-car/

Griot's re-branded version since looks like you can't get from Amazon right now in the US.
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/ultra+compact+fire+extinguisher.do?code=PPCPLB&msclkid=36a0e502ca0a1fd2b3aabbb27b8a5a47&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing_PLA_Shopping&utm_term=4580634166987497&utm_content=.PLA-All%20Products

Previous GF's - 986 Boxster S, 987 B Cayman, 981 B Cayman, 981 GT4

Last edited by JohnTucker; 05-04-2020 at 04:28 PM..
Old 05-04-2020, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Right here at Pelican

Element E50 Fire Extinguisher with High Visibility Striker and Cap

about 39 in stock today.

Stay safe.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Like John said ... any non stock components need to go. I'd look at the PET drawings and figure out what is non-original and order those.

On my SC I replaced all rubber fuel lines on the engine with new OEM. If you can swing it, do that. If one line is old and leaks, the others won't be far.

G
Old 05-05-2020, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
A leak I found on a customer car some years ago.

Good thing no one smoked back then !
Old 05-05-2020, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

The puddled area looks like it starts, or ends by the WUR. Mine was leaking fuel on this side and dripping on the headers. I about soiled myself when i saw it. Anyways I am replacing all the fuel lines and got a rebuild kit for the WUR (its really only a new seal kit). Have to agree on the hose clamps - they all should be swage fittings. I got a fuel line kit from another member on this board.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
1974 , 3.0sc , cis , fuel leak