Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Factory External oil cooler mounting points

Good afternoon everyone,

Let me start off by saying that I did do a search and found some info but not everything. I found a nice photo of the single mounting point in the rear wheel well. I found the three mounting points along the side of the car. I believe there are three more mounting points in the front wheel well.

Photos would be most appreciated.

Thanks

David

Old 05-19-2020, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Do you mean Factory Oil "Lines" mounting pints?

Rahl
Old 05-19-2020, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Because my car is a base model it came with no cooler and no mounting points. In some cases those were weld studs and in others they were sheet metal tabs.

Thanks

David
Old 05-20-2020, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Because my car is a base model it came with no cooler and no mounting points. In some cases those were weld studs and in others they were sheet metal tabs.

Thanks

David
The front mount is a weld on bracket....it used to come with the oil cooler kits as the trombones they normally replaced used a different bracket.

The lines use the lower rocker panel bolts and some nylon spacers to mount them.

The thermostat mount ought to be already there in the inner rear fender (long skinny stud in the middle of nowhere) or at least it was for every older 911 I have had experience with. Same with the stud in the front fender.

You just need a set of brackets and spacers (available from our host) and the relevant parts, a little welding on the front and you are good to go!

Dennis
Old 05-20-2020, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Lash

Garage
Harpo,
What year is your 911?
Old 05-20-2020, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

kltarga72 -- per his garage, looks like he has a '74
Old 05-20-2020, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Yes, I have a base 74 that never had a external cooler. The 2.7 has been replaced with a 3.0L and some day a 3.2SS.

Thanks

Thanks
Old 05-20-2020, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Rear wheel well
Old 05-20-2020, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Along the side of the car
Old 05-20-2020, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I can't find any mounting points in the Front wheel . For reference the left side of this photo is the top (inside the wheel well)

well

Last edited by Harpo; 05-20-2020 at 08:20 AM..
Old 05-20-2020, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

If this is for the factory Carrera oil cooler - there is a lower bracket that can be welded or bolted on. There is a top bracket (it might be two pieces if I recall) that is mounted off the right headlight bucket. You'll have to estimate where exactly the parts mount to the fender well and headlight bucket. It's not too difficult.

I believe Elephant Racing has the pieces but they are all factory parts. If you can locate the part numbers you can source them from Pelican, too.

Be mindful if your horn is in the way, it may have to be moved a little bit for the cooler to clear the front tire.

Last edited by KNS; 05-20-2020 at 08:36 AM..
Old 05-20-2020, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have already purchased the kit from Elephant Engineering. I need photos of where the factory weld stud, weld nut etc are on the car so I can mount mine the same way. I'm going to start off with a trombone cooler and see how it goes.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
This is a photo of the hippy car and one of the mounting points in the front wheel well

Old 05-21-2020, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
and a nother at 12! aprox to the right of the strut tower.

farther to the right down at aprox 5! you have the L-bracket where the cooler itself gets mounted to.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I borrowed these from Johnny042's build

Old 05-22-2020, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Per the factory

Old 05-26-2020, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
more factory photos

Old 05-26-2020, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I got a good deal on a pair of long lines but when I attempted to install I could not get the nut installed on my new thermostat. Upon closer inspection I found some contamination in the nut threads. My best guess is that it is aluminum from the thermostat. Any ideas how to clean up the threads? I really don't want to spend $55 on the elephant repair nut.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: