Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Question Tint removal botched job by PO

The tint on the rear inside glass on my car has been partially removed by the PO. Looks like he gave up as it was peeling off in layers. Some areas it's completely gone while other areas have full tint and some areas look like the color tint is gone but a layer of adhesive is still on the glass. Running my fingers over the defroster wire in the glass it feels like a ridge is there and I don't want to take a razor blade to it if it's going to ruin the wire. Any advice ?? Thanks Kip

Old 11-26-2020, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I removed the tint on mine with one of those small stanley steam machines. Any left over glue residue I cleaned up with some 3m adhesive remover. I didn't have to deal with any defroster wires.

The trick is not to pull the tint to fast and let the steam do all the work.

Last edited by walt; 11-26-2020 at 06:35 PM..
Old 11-26-2020, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I used a black trash bag. Wet the glass with soapy water stuck bag on tinted side glass. Make sure all area is covered. Then used a heat gun on outside of glass and heated it. It steamed the tint and glue right off. I saw this done on YouTube.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Acetone, followed by Magic Eraser.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
razor blade and some music. beer later
Old 11-27-2020, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

goo gone spray gel works really well
Old 11-27-2020, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Reiver

WD40 works wonders on regular stickers.....might work here too and you prob have it in the garage.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

I removed old tint on a Jeep Cherokee just using windex. With rear window defroster elements I wouldn't risk using a razor blade or anything else sharp.

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 11-27-2020, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

i used a small hand held steam machine. worked great.
stay away - with the sharp objects.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Botched Tint Job

Thanks everyone for the answers. I'm going with a steam machine , 3M adhesive remover and no razor blade. I appreciate it. I had fun working on 3 Pedals today. Put in a drivers door stay, cleaned up all the wiring under the dash and started getting the window trim ready to repaint.. It's the little things in life sometimes, eh? Kip
Old 11-27-2020, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I’ve used And recommended a guy in Huntington Beach for tint and clear uv protection on quite a few cars now .
He uses a chemical to completely remove old tint and adhesive before applying new .
I think it might be ammonia based , or something equally as smelly .
I’d recommend you find the best local tint shop , and ask them .
Old 11-27-2020, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Speed Metal Army General

Steam works great. My 951 had some ugly purple looking tint.. The steam method got rid of it perfectly.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: