Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to rpankhurst
Triad/SSI/Header Resonance Fix

A while back there were a few posts about resonance problems with SSIs/Headers and Triad mufflers. I own a Triad with 3" tips and RSR headers and also have noticed significant (my wife says deafening) resonance between 2100 and 2800 rpm especially under full throttle.

I decided tonight to try something to reduce the resonance and it appears to have worked. I plugged the left outlet with a 3" drain cleanout plug from HomeDepot (~$4) The car now exhibits minimal resonance over the complete rev range. There doesn't seem to be have been any noticable performance impact in my drive home.

Triad owners - head to Home Depot for resonance relief!

Cheers,

Old 01-04-2004, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
You can reduce resonance even more by plugging both outlets.
Various VWs
Old 01-04-2004, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to rpankhurst
Thom -- Is that how you guys keep under the noise limit on those West Coast tracks?

Cheers,

Richard
Old 01-04-2004, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

Re: Triad/SSI/Header Resonance Fix

Quote:
Originally posted by rpankhurst
A while back there were a few posts about resonance problems with SSIs/Headers and Triad mufflers. I own a Triad with 3" tips and RSR headers and also have noticed significant (my wife says deafening) resonance between 2100 and 2800 rpm especially under full throttle.

I decided tonight to try something to reduce the resonance and it appears to have worked. I plugged the left outlet with a 3" drain cleanout plug from HomeDepot (~$4) The car now exhibits minimal resonance over the complete rev range. There doesn't seem to be have been any noticable performance impact in my drive home.

Triad owners - head to Home Depot for resonance relief!

Cheers,
To me, corking one of the outlets belies the purpose of having a dual-out exhaust. Resonance is part of the deal of switching to a Triad. I don't know about other dual-out mufflers, but owners of Triads have stated the system "booms" at the RPMs you describe.

With that said, it was suggested that cutting the tips slightly might rid the exhaust of its resonance. I'd try that instead of plugging up the exhaust.

Old 01-04-2004, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: