Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Licensed User

Megaphones

Sorry, stupid question:

How loud are Megaphones? 'torque the neighbors off' loud? Or just 'unacceptable for a street car' loud?

I found a set for cheap and Ive never heard them on a car before.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 02-01-2004, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You will "torque the neighbors" and the homeowners association and depending on where you live, probably the cops. I tried a set of megaphones on a 2.4 litre back in highschool. Lets just say I was the only one who liked it!

My father once said," There are no stupid questions, just stupid mistakes!"
'13 Panamera GTS
PCA member Central Indiana
Old 02-01-2004, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Shuie:

Megaphones are ear-piercing, dreadfully loud,....

Further, they just KILL all low and mid-range torque.

Thankfully, we in the race engine business have well progressed beyond those things and no longer use them,... There are far better alternatives that retain peak HP without compromising the rest of the power/torque curves.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 02-01-2004, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Licensed User

OK, thats all I needed to know. Thanks guys!
Old 02-01-2004, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Steve, Your comment brings up a couple of questions...I see a lot of guys on the track running megaphones..slow learners? And what makes less noise and "retain[s] peak HP without compromising the rest of the power/torque curve?" Say a carbed engine? Thanks.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Licensed User

Megaphones are definitely out for me if Law Enforcement could get involved. Id like to expand on Souk's questions though:

What is a good exhaust recommendation for a 98mm 3.2 with 40mm Webers and no heat. Ive been seriously thinking of just cutting the heater boxes off set of a pre-74 heat exchangers or SSI's and fabbing something similar to what Leland did with the Mangnaflow here:

The muffler is in...

I also like the look of the sport mufflers with the twin pipes exiting under the license plate panel, but I cant find them for sale anywhere.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Why wouldn't SSIs and a dual in dual out sport muffler work?
Old 02-01-2004, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

See this thread.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

If you are really wondering what a car with megaphones would sound like take off your muffler (and cat if your car has one) and then start the car. Have you ever been to the drags or to a stock car race. Some still run open exhaust. Megaphones are a 911's answer to open headers if any of you have that experience from your younger years.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 02-01-2004, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Oh PS, a good engine sounds AMAZING with open exhaust. I wish I could run SSI's with megaphones on my daily driver, but yes, law enforcement would get involved.

... but it would eliminate tailgaters.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 02-01-2004, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

SteveW - I'm not sure how serious you are, but I'd love to hear about some options.

I know my car pulls noticably better on the top end (5500-7200) with the megaphones, and it clearly pulls better in the midrange with my Dansk 2-in/2-out (center type) muffler.

I am guessing that the Phase9 is one of the "best" muffler setups but have never seen one in person.

If I ever hope to drive at Laguna, I'll have to figure out something. The car is still probably close to 100dbA with this sport muffler + the Webers (and ITG filters and GT mesh lid).

2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 02-01-2004, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: