Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hard to shift to 2nd and 4th

I have an 84 Carrera with about 120,000 miles. It is hard to get into second and fourth sometimes. Third and fifth are very smooth. If I go slow 1st to 2nd it works most of the time. Even first can be hard to engage at a stop if I try to rush it.

I have: a)put in sweepco, b) replaced bushings, c) new clutch cable (clutch has 5000 mi), d)adjusted clutch, e) adjusted linkage several times.

I had another new 84 and it shifted better.
Any thoughts--thanks in advance.

Old 02-02-2004, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Have you ever put in a new guide tube? With this many miles the guide tube can develop ridges that keep the TO bearing from spinning freely, making shifting sticky.

I just installed one in my 86 with 113K and now it shifts like new. This means an engine drop, of course, but I did lots of other stuff while the engine was out. Because I needed to work inside the bell housing, I went ahead and dropped the transaxle and engine together.

Not only did my guide tube have hollows, but the contact pads on the sift fork were worn down and not contactly the TO correctly, adding to shift misery.

MY 915 gearbox synchros were just fine.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for input but would it not make it hard to shift into third and fifth as well if the t/o bearing was binding? Third and fifth are very smooth. Any other thoughts? Anyone?
Thanks
Old 02-02-2004, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
With that mileage, and assuming that the shift coupler is correctly adjusted, sounds like a look see through the fork plate on the bottom of the tranny is in order.

When you pull the plug to drain, look for metal shavings. Open the fork plate and make sure the fork is tight on the plate. You can see a couple of the free gears a slider or two. If you are familiar with what worn syncros and dog teeth look like, you might get some insight as to the problem.

At least you won't have to pull the motor to look.
https://picasaweb.google.com/102059909841735131107
http://www.youtube.com/user/958Fan#p/u

Last edited by marcesq; 02-02-2004 at 06:48 PM..
Old 02-02-2004, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My understanding is that the 915 transmissions (in 911's before 1987) are a little finnicky in shifts from 1st to 2nd. There have been previous threads about this. You may want to check them out.
It could be also that you need work on your second gear. The PO of my car had 2nd gear replaced/reworked before he sold me the car.

Old 02-02-2004, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: