Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
alignment numbers. any opinions?

I'm glad I didn't mess with this rear end at home. The front I rebuilt so I just threw the parts back on and expected it would be way out. The rear was the expensive mess. I sort of expected it would be. Do these numbers look ok? all I know is red is bad and green is good. My request to the guy was to raise it up to euro spec. and fairly agressive street set up. What do I got?

Old 03-05-2004, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
well, I'm gonna bump it once to see if I can get anything out of you guys. I'm still messing with clearence on the drivers side. I had a little rub with the bigger tires up front. I had to go up a little higher, roll the fender and I'm thinking I may have to pull in on the strut bar just a hair to get the tire to clear if it is still touching.
These #'s are a mystery to me.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Well first off you need to determine what you are trying to set the car up for. Are you going to drive it on the street only or looking to track drive the car, at say a DE or autocross?
Assuming you have lowered the car to European ride height, and the tires are 205/55 in front and 225/50 in the rear, then my opinion is that you are still not ideally set-up. You should be running negative camber in the front and rear, which looks ok in front from the chart, but you should try to have 0.5 degrees more negative camber than the front settings as a rule of thumb. You need to go -0.4 more on the rear.
Also, it appears you are running positive toe or toe out on the rear wheels, which I think is definitely not desired, I was under the impression that you should have slight toe in or in your case negative values on the chart. I think toe out or positive numbers like you show will induce oversteer in the car, which is undesireable.
Caster values seem a little low on the front, but may be ok at 5.0 degrees. I think 6.0 degrees or so is nominal.
If you want to track the car, increase the negative camber slightly both front and rear. This gives better grip but makes tire wear a factor.
Good luck.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-06-2004, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think your tech has done a good job with very little side to side difference. I personally like a little less neg camber and a little more caster on the front for a street driven car , and a little more neg camber on the rear ( but others will disagree). I expect a drive will confirm it drives straight and behaves fairly well.The neg camber up front will hold well in turns but may follow road irregularities (ie wander a bit ) . more neg camber in the rear will reduce oversteer
I try to achieve front neg 1/2 camber
plus 6 1/2 caster
1/16 " toe in
rear neg 1 to 1 1/2 camber
1/16 " toe in
It appears to me you have toe in front and back as it should be.
1964 Corvair Spyder Turbo gone
2012 Boss 302

Last edited by johnsjmc; 03-06-2004 at 06:02 AM..
Old 03-06-2004, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. I might take it to the track but it is a road car and I asked to set it primarily for the road. This car goes on long road trips with my 5 year old as a passenger but mostly 30 or 40 mile drives locally a couple or few times a week.
fronts are 225/45/17
rears are 255/40 17
Bilstein sports,w/stock torsions and sways.
The guy who did the work highly recomended Virginia international speedway. Its a 3 track road coarse 40 minutes north of here.
http://www.virclub.com/
for the amount of time I would be on the track I figured I would try to balance it toward road. I think it could still be plenty of fun on the track.
That being said, should I have it tuned in a little more? I've gone this far, I don't want it to be sloppy.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I would drive it first then if you want to play with it go back to the same shop and ask them to re do the front slightly. The rear is set up fine. It,s an easy task to move the tops of the struts to add caster and remove a little of the neg camber.
1964 Corvair Spyder Turbo gone
2012 Boss 302
Old 03-06-2004, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I have driven it some. Last time I still had a little tire rub so I couldn't play to the extremes. I may be good with that now but I have to see. From what I could tell so far it feels a little looser than it was as a low rider but I expected that and was willing to sacrifice that for not having to bottom out way too often. It's also nice to be able to go up driveways. Higher profile tires up front that are not at 45 pounds of pressure is gonna set me back some too but I think in the long run driving it like that was bad for the car. And I should have been wearing a kindey belt
Old 03-06-2004, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: