Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to UTKarmann_Ghia
Question 915 wrapup questions & validation

Ok, I've rebuilt the gears in my 915 and I just wanted some verification that I haven't screwed anything up. I'm having 1 problem with getting the middle gear cover on, and I'm kinda stuck there until I figure out what's holding it up. Other than that I think she's ready for launch! Sanity check on the last assembly:

Dentant in proper position:

fork side and opposite side of stacks:

fork alignment:

Does anybody see anything glaring? Any ideas about why the cover wont go all the way on? It almost seems to be getting hung up on the 1-2 gear stack bearing, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for looking!

Old 03-06-2004, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Matt,

The roller bearing races are probably hanging up. When the bearings are worn a little, the rollers can tilt and as the outer race meets the roller, it catches on the edge.
Use a scribe or similar to move the rollers and the parts will go together. Turning the shafts while you slide the case onto the bearing can also do it sometimes.

I would spend some time cleaning the old gasket material from the pinion bulkhead before you go for final assembly.

Regards

Hayden
Old 03-06-2004, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'll second Hayden's suggestion. When the roller bearing 'droops,' the rollers yoke outwards making it unlikely to fit into the race, even if it is brand new. I fashioned a thick piece of wire to hook through the bearing so that I could lift it up a little; leveling it from full 'droop' position.

A flexible razor blade works pretty well to scrape off that old gasket/glue. Just try not to nick the surfaces.

2001 330i Sport
1983 911SC Coupe (sold)
Old 03-06-2004, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks guys, you have NO idea how much work I put into cleaning the gasket material off already! OMG there was soooo much junk there! It's actually pretty clean, what's left seems to be very, very thin and really has no edge. Not sure what it is. It also seems as though the top bearing is ok, but the bottom bearing is hanging up. I did try turning the 1-2 stack while putting it on, but it didnt work. I'll fiddle with it some more, thanks guys
Old 03-06-2004, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I finally got the gear housing on, but I had to remove the circlip holding the bearing sleeve and the bearing sleeve itself which is part of the housing. Then I was able to slide (with alot of fiddling) the bearing sleeve itself over the bearing...what a PITA! sheesh...

Old 03-06-2004, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: