Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

fog lamp relay

Anyone know if there is a factory relay hooked up to the fog lamps? Thanks. How many of you run 80 watts lamp in there using stock wires, and does it help. Thanks. Oh, its an 88 930.

Jeff

Old 09-24-2005, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
i'm troubleshooting my fogs as well (84 carrera), and, yes there is a relay for them. I believe it is the 5th one from the left. (I have the thick manual for the car, thankfully). I'm pretty sure my relay is shot, because everything else seems fine. Finally getting the courage to troubleshoot electrical things. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Re: fog lamp relay

Quote:
Originally posted by look 171
How many of you run 80 watts lamp in there using stock wires, and does it help.

Jeff
Fog lights are pretty much useless except to irritate oncoming traffic. Do everyone a favour and keep stock bulbs.

Tim
Old 10-07-2005, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Sizzle,

Thanks. I am just thinking about using the low beam GM head lights in the fog llight area somehow to get better llghting for ours cars. I am talking about the small ones for the early 90's pick up trucks.

Tim,

I don't understand how a slighter fog will bother on comng traffic. It is so low and aim downward a bit. It shouldn't be no brighter then a normal H4 head lights? Not even close to being as bright as some late model car's low beam. They are bright, like the Bimmers.

Jeff
Old 10-07-2005, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:

Tim,

I don't understand how a slighter fog will bother on comng traffic. It is so low and aim downward a bit. It shouldn't be no brighter then a normal H4 head lights? Not even close to being as bright as some late model car's low beam. They are bright, like the Bimmers.

Jeff
Sorry Jeff, just a pet peeve of mine. I live in the county and end up doing a lot of night time driving on two lane country roads. It seems like more and more vehicles are leaving their fog lights on under normal driving. I find the extra, relatively non-focussed light to be irritating, especially Dodge pickups with their 747 landing light fogs.

Tim
Old 10-08-2005, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Tim,

Where abouts are you in Alta. So where do you get to open up the 911? I was up there around Calgary and Edmonton. My cousin told me that the cops are out there and do not speed. They will get you everytime. All I can think of was all the straight roads and the hwy 1 going to BC. What a waste in my big SUV and not the 930. THere were no cars around going to Drumheller(spelling). We don't have open roads like it in LA. Always too many cars.

Jeff
Old 10-10-2005, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Tim,

Where abouts are you in Alta. So where do you get to open up the 911? I was up there around Calgary and Edmonton. My cousin told me that the cops are out there and do not speed. They will get you everytime. All I can think of was all the straight roads and the hwy 1 going to BC. What a waste in my big SUV and not the 930. THere were no cars around going to Drumheller(spelling). We don't have open roads like it in LA. Always too many cars.

Jeff
I'm in NE Alberta. As a rule of thumb, on roads posted at 100 kph, your safe at 114. At 116, the RCMP will usually flash their lights as they pass you, over 118 and you will be ticketed.

Highway 36, south of Brooks (not far from Drumheller) is usually pretty safe for "opening the throttle". I've also followed welding trucks going north to Ft. McMurray on Hwy 63 in excess of 140 kph.

Alberta, home of photo radar, red light cameras, etc etc. Fortunately, the RCMP have not yet started (at least as far as I have seen) using photo radar.

Tim
Old 10-11-2005, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

So, if Sizzle is correct, and there IS a relay for the fog lamps, would it be safe to plug in higher wattage bulbs? Do i need to upgrade (thicker) the wiring also?

thanks
'11 Cayenne
Old 10-11-2005, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

I am installing a set of Hella fogs, which come with H3 55w and wanted to go to H3 100w.

So I have this same question. I emailed Marcus Sucro and this is his answer.

"The formula used to determine current is Watts/Volts = Current. As an example, 55W/12V= 4.58A. Remember that the fog lamp relay supplies both fog lamps so the current is doubled (2 x 4.58 = 9.16A) If you use a bigger bulb the current will go up proportionally. An additional consideration is the current carrying capacity of the wiring harness. This is not the easiest thing to calculate if you don't know the wire gauge. To make a long story short, I think you'll be fine with 100W foglamps and a 20A relay."
when the poor brain is cracking
there's nothing like packing
a suitcase ..(or getting in the Porsche) and sailing away " Cole Porter, anything Goes"
Old 10-13-2005, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks man.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: