Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale
Let's Talk About Engine Mounts...

Looks like I'm in need of a new pair of engine mounts...

Had to raise the rear-end of my car earlier this evening to check the torque of my recently replaced rear axles. To jack it up, I place my floor jack under the exhaust cross-over flange and raise the rear-end enough to set my jack stands in place.

While I still had the weight of the engine on the jack, I was looking around the engine compartment and discovered this:

Driver's side:

Passenger's side:

Looking through Pelican's on-line catalog, I found there were a few different types of mounts to be purchased. What's the difference, besides price, of course, between the different mounts?

In a different thread, jpahemi gave a ringing endorsement for Wevo SS mounts. Rather than hijackk the other thread, I figured I would start a new one here.

Randy

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Old 10-02-2005, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

new thread = good

I can't tell if they are bad or not. What happens when you move the engine around?

Some have posted that the Wevo mounts transmit more NVH into the cabin. Are you racing the car?

Seen the thread on polycarbonate mounts?

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-02-2005, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
Coupe : softest
Cab: slightly stiffer
Wevo: stiffer yet still some compliance
Solid: metal with no give

I would think that each step harder is going to increase NVH slightly. I didn't really notice the NVH of my solid mounts, but then again the 72 is not mild in most of its traits.

I would not use only two solid mounts. I likewise would be suspect of using only two WEVO's. I would think ideally you'd want to replace all four with WEVO's at the same time.

Last edited by Lukesportsman; 10-02-2005 at 08:45 PM..
Old 10-02-2005, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Randy, I've got the OEM sport mounts on my car. They work very well. I considered the WEVO mounts but concluded that I would not be getting a significant improvement with them over the sport mounts.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Poly carbonate mounts? Gonna have to look for that. Thanks Randy.

I have the solid race mounts rear and sport mounts in the tranny. I did not notice more noise but my car is real loud. The Wevo mounts are the best if you have the change. I dont think you would be bothered by slightly more NVH, having read some of your posts in the past. If you want you can try my car and see what you think.

Try reving the motor and see how it moves around while you watch like Randy said. Rememer or have an assistant drive away (briskly) with the lid open while you watch and see if it moves much.

The least I would consider is also the cheapest - the sport mounts, a "safe" option.
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale
Hi Randy, thanks for checking in here.

I've been browsing through a few threads/discussions of engine mounts, trying to learn as much as I can.

In the pics above, the weight of the engine is setting on my jack, so perhaps why the gaps are there. They just don't seem right.

Haven't come across the thread you mentioned about polycarbonate mounts, but I did see those in the Pelican catalog. Are those basically just a replacement for the rubber in the stock mounts?

Randy
Old 10-02-2005, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow $90!!! for the poly carbonate mounts and they dont include the mount, just bushing material. That seems about 2x what they should cost.
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I think it will be a public service to consolidate all the info on this.

Sorry - I should have said polygraphite...

Experience with the Polygraphite Transmission Mounts?

I put new stock mounts on my car ('73 with a carb'd 3.2L) for street use.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

My car has the G-50 tranny so I couldn't use the Wevo units there, but I could still use them on the engine. I replaced the rubber center clutch disc at the same time that I did the Wevo mounts. I notice more vibration but I think it is more a function of the turbo disc than the engine mounts. The way the Wevo mounts are designed, I wouldn't think there would be more vibration, just less engine movement and I don't notice any.
Drums
Old 10-02-2005, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Fitted some WEVO mounts at the weekend.

Overall I'm very pleased. There is more noise transmitted into the cabin, but I like it. Still quiet on part throttle.

Subjectively I think the gearchange is improved and there is a reduction in the shift ro drattle I experience sometimes when pulling away.

1988 Carrera 3.2 Sport Coupe - my mistress
2009 BMW E60 saloon - the work horse
2012 BMW F11 touring - the dog bus!
Old 10-03-2005, 12:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
As I mentioned above, this pic shows my passenger side engine mount. I have the rear end lifted, supported by the engine, so I think it's safe to assume this is the cause of the separation of the rubber from the metal part of the mount.

When I removed the mount, it actually looks pretty decent. The rubber doesn't look all dried out or anything like that.

I also noticed that the sleeve through the center of the rubber was beginning to rust, and also seemed to set a little crooked. Perhaps from being in a stationary position with the weight of the engine on it?

And then, there is the big engine mount bolt. WOW! This thing looks pretty nasty! I suppose it could be cleaned up, but I think I'd rather replace them with new ones.

Lastly, when I removed the mount, I discovered that washer #4 in this pic was not installed. Could this have anything to do with the separation in the first pic above?

Randy
Old 10-18-2005, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

I'm high jacking the tread a bit here...

My engine mounts has the large washers the other way around, the curving pointing up wards, if you understand what I mean.
Which is the correct way?
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 10-18-2005, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

engine mounts

I added the new Wevo mounts to my 1987 coupe and noticed a real increase in cabin noise and will most likely replace them with the stock mounts

History is the lie we all agree to..........
Old 10-18-2005, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
While there is no doubt the WEVO SS Engine mounts are capable of transmitting more noise as a result of the increased stiffness - another source of noise - regardless of engine mount design, or condition - is pre-load on the 4 points supporting the engine.

When installing any new engine mounts, the procedure covered in the workshop manuals should be performed to "stress-relieve" the 4 mount points.

This is achieved by slackening the torque on the 4 nuts and bolts - marked #10 and #12 on the illustration above. Then re-torquing in the new relaxed position.

We have had calls from customers who claimed their SS mounts are actually less noisy than stock. I assume this is because their stock mounts were operating in a pre-loaded condition.

Regards

Hayden
Old 10-18-2005, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by safe
[BI'm high jacking the tread a bit here...

My engine mounts has the large washers the other way around, the curving pointing up wards, if you understand what I mean.
Which is the correct way? [/B]
Magnus,

According to the pics I've seen, both in Wayne's "101 Projects" book, and elsewhere, the 'inside' of the curve should be wrapping itself around the mount rubber. You can see in my pis above that the rubber has a slight arc to it.

I'll let the experts say definitively, but I believe the washers DO get installed the way I have them in the pics.

Randy
Old 10-18-2005, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lukesportsman
Coupe : softest
Cab: slightly stiffer
Proof of what I've always believed!!!!

Cabs ARE stiffer than Coupes!!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I think I paid $79 for the blue solid billet mounts for my SC. A little noisier, but it's a track car. Shifting is a tad crisper too.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

there is an old thread on which direction the washers "should" face

IIRC, P AG changed their idea of which way to put them on - but that might have been for comfort only...

Old 10-18-2005, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: