Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The Official Bentley Errors Thread

After snapping a rear wheel bearing retainer bolt, due to an error in the Bentley manual, I thought we should start an official "errors" thread. Here's my first contribution; I would suggest we stay with this item/error/correction format.

ITEM: Rear wheel bearing retainer bolts.
ERROR: Bentley says 34 ft-lb. for a M10 bolt.
CORRECTION: Is really a M8 bolt, correct torque is 18 ft-lbs.

Deceased: Black '88 Carrera Coupe, Steve Wong and Russell Berry chips, Dansk premuffler, custom MK GT3-style muffler, Magnecores. Al Reed 7 & 8 X 16 Fuchs. Full Elephant Racing suspension, 21/28 T-bars, Turbo tierods, bump steer kit, Bilstein Sports, BK strut bar. Ruf bumpers, 935 mirrors, Carrera 3.0 tail, DasSport bar.
'11 BMW 328iX, '18 Nissan Frontier 4X4, '92 Acura NSX.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

the official site for bentley has a lot of these errors already listed. You may want to check that to avoid duplication.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I will check the official site, but, also note that the US and Euro ride height numbers (distance C) are reversed for the front ride height. US is 99mm and Euro is 105mm. My brain thanks Wayne's 101 book for having the accurate info.

Doug
Old 10-11-2005, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by hkspwrsche
the official site for bentley has a lot of these errors already listed. You may want to check that to avoid duplication.
Not a bad idea, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have the errors listed here on Pelican too.

I did a search before I started this thread and there appear to be errors with the torque specs for some flywheel bolts and engine mounts as well.
Deceased: Black '88 Carrera Coupe, Steve Wong and Russell Berry chips, Dansk premuffler, custom MK GT3-style muffler, Magnecores. Al Reed 7 & 8 X 16 Fuchs. Full Elephant Racing suspension, 21/28 T-bars, Turbo tierods, bump steer kit, Bilstein Sports, BK strut bar. Ruf bumpers, 935 mirrors, Carrera 3.0 tail, DasSport bar.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The SC book only has these errors noted on the Bentley site:

Bently SC Corrections

There seems to be plenty of room for further errors noted here on the PP BBS.

Doug
Old 10-11-2005, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thx Wavey - I think this is a good idea.

Note that each post needs to distinguish SC from Carrera books.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-11-2005, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Half of the photos in the SC book are of a Carrera.
1980 Porsche 911SC w/ -22mm/28mm Torsion Bars | Custom Valved Bilsteins | 22mm/21mm Carrera Sway Bars | Elephant Poly/Bronze Bushings | Carrera Brakes | AJ-USA Brake Cooling | Carrera Oil Cooler w/ Fan | Elephant Strut Brace | Oh, and no ABS or PSM or A/C
Old 10-11-2005, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Well yes but that isn't an error - do you want to pay extra to have them shoot all the photos over again?

Now if they had a book on the beautiful early cars and put ugly bumper car pics in ... that would be a travesty! Naturally, I am completely unbiased and this is an objective fact, not a mere opinion...

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-11-2005, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Go Speedracer, go!

MANUAL: Carrera
ITEM: 915 transmission internal diagram
ERROR: Bentley lists 1-2 gear stack incorrectly.
CORRECTION: 1st and 2nd gear should be switched on the 1-2 stack in the diagram.

I noticed this in the Carrera book, and have not seen the SC book to verify if it is incorrect there as well.

Last edited by SpeedracerIndy; 10-12-2005 at 04:38 AM..
Old 10-11-2005, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Page 102-6
Bottom Photo

The notes locating the Oil Pressure Warning light switch and the Oil Temperature Sender are reversed.

A minor typo yes....but we were all "nubies" once....it confused the hell out of me for a half a Saturday morning back in the day. That was two years ago.....I'm all better now......really!
'88 Carrera Cab 3.2 Diamond Blue Metallic - ERP Polybronze Bushings, ERP Monoballs, SW Chip, Bilstein Sports, 930S Steering Wheel, DAS Rollbar, Sparco 5pt Harness, Hunsaker Sport Seats, Dansk Pre-Muffler, MK 1in-1out Exhaust, Magnecor KV8.5 Wires
'86 944NA, Sunroof Delete, Track Rat, Full Cage
'72 914 1.7 Guards Red / '02 Audi S4 Light Silver Metallic
Old 10-11-2005, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by randywebb
Thx Wavey - I think this is a good idea.

Note that each post needs to distinguish SC from Carrera books.
Good idea. So, new format:

MANUAL: Carrera
ITEM: Rear wheel bearing retainer bolts.
ERROR: Bentley says 34 ft-lb. for a M10 bolt.
CORRECTION: Is really a M8 bolt, correct torque is 18 ft-lbs.

As this thread grows, if one wants to quickly check a specific item, use the Pelican search engine and enter:

The Official Bentley Errors Thread + item you want to check

Example:

the official bentley errors thread rear wheel bearing

Yields:

The Official Bentley Errors Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: