Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Brake upgrade questions?

Ok, my master cylinder is shot so I found a replacement in the pelican classifieds. Since I am going to have the brake system open I thought I would upgrade to vented rotors.

Currently my car has non-vented rotors and narrow M calipers. All stock for '69 912. I would like to use the BMW 320i calipers and vented rotors in the front, I don't want to have to switch struts to use A or S calipers. But I am unsure how to get vented rotors to fit on the back.

Will my stock rear calipers fit over vented rotors. Or do I need to use the BMW calipers on the back as well?

I have searched quite extensively and I've checked Bill Verburg's site but I am still confused about the rears, all the discussion I've found seems to be centered around the front brakes.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Sam

Old 10-11-2005, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Come early guys I know you are out there. A little guidance please.
Ok how about this, can I use SC calipers on the rear. They are the same size as my M's only wider right? Are there any fitment issues?
Also will there be any brake bias issues using the BMW 320i calipers? I've read that they are a direct swap for Narrow M calipers. I just want to be sure.
Thanks,
Sam
Old 10-11-2005, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

standard m calipers (911 352 907 00 left/ 911 352 908 oo right) from a vented disc 911 should bolt right up with the standard rear vented 901 352 041 14 discs
you should be just fine with the hydraulics. The slight increase in front brake effectiveness should not give you any balance problems
Old 10-11-2005, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TRE Cup
[B]standard m calipers (911 352 907 00 left/ 911 352 908 oo right) from a vented disc 911 should bolt right up with the standard rear vented 901 352 041 14 discs

Thanks, TRE Cup. The reason I asked about the SC M calipers is because I saw a set on the classifieds page. Any info on using those?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

YOu can only use the SC "A" calipers if you have a 3.5" strut mounting pattern. The rear SC "M" calipers are the same as the early rear M calipers. These will work on the rear with the correct vented rotor but not on the front due to the smaller piston size. your brake bias will be off if used on the front.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts and suspension setups.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
As others have said, the rear M calipers are the same on the early cars as well as SC's. No change there. As for the fronts, others (but not too many) around here have gone w/ the Bimmer calipers but I never heard an update from them. Keep us posted.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brake spacers

Sam, do you want to use your current rear brake (non-vented) brake calipers in combination with vented 911 rear rotors?. If the answer is yes, then you will need to add a pair of caliper spacers and longer bolts to each of your existing calipers. These spacers, the longer bolts and the O rings that are used to seal up the spacers are shown in the the 1969 911S spare parts section of the parts catalog. I don't think the spacers are available from Porsche anymore so here are two sources for you to consider.
1) In Porsche914club.com it is a section under the forums where club members can sell their own after market parts. One person sells the parts you need. The same upgrade parts that you need are used by 914-6 owners to upgrade to vented rear brakes.
2) If you really like a challenge, track down an early 80's BMW equipped to ATE vented rear brakes and buy the real calipers
from the car. Some of these same models came with Girling brakes and others used floating calipers and they won't fit. I think the BMW model was a 325 but I not certain on that. The caliper won't fit as a complete unit but it uses the very same spacers and longer bolts and you can use them to adapt your existing calipers. In my next of the woods, "you-pull-it" junk yards sell brake calipers for $7 each so it is a good deal. The tiny O-rings must be replaced with new ones, not reused. Order them from Pelican Parts or your Porsche dealer. The Porsche part # 901.351.928.10
You need four spacers, eight longer bolts and eight O rings to do the upgrade.
3) Search E bay and other sites and try to find a set of rear vented calipers for sale. I bought a pair for $40.
4) This last option is really just a question for you to consider. Were the same spacers used on the front "M" vented calipers??
I don't know the answer.
Good luck
Lyle
Old 10-12-2005, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for all the input guys.
I will use the SC rear M calipers(same as early vented M calipers) on the rear and the BMW ATE calipers on the front. With the stock vented rotors. This seems to be the most cost effective way to go to vented rotors. I'm alos going ot be running new brake lines and new fluid of course. I will keep everyone updated as to how the BMW calipers work out. I've read that they are supposed to be pretty good.
Thanks again.
Sam

Old 10-12-2005, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: