Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Usurper

Any one else experience this 914 quirk?

My 915 works just as it should - however - on occasion, for no apparent reason, regardless of whether the car is being driven calmly and smoothly or aggressively (not being abusive to the trans.), second gear cannot be engaged at all. The shifter feels like you're pulling it down against a hard rubber block and refuses to go further.

Double clutching doesn't change things. Shifting through all the other gears works fine in motion or at rest (reverse while at rest only of course). With the engine turned off, no change in problem. Double clutching down from 3rd won't work either.

I'll continue driving, occasionally trying to engage 2nd, and sooner or later it'll engage and operation is back to normal. This may happen twice in a day or once in four days. There's never any grinding of gears involved.

I suspect it's a 2nd gear synchro problem. I'm not a mechanic but it seems strange that this problem is intermittent and that I can't seem to find a way to purposefully cause it to happen.

Anyone?

Old 10-12-2005, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

seems like bushings in the shifter mechanism might have broken and be twisting/blocking the shift. I'm no expert though.

bryteside.com - good things happen.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Used User

I had a 914 quirk once.....................
Old 10-12-2005, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: the bluest city in the bluest county in the bluest state by the bluest ocean...did I mention the blue skies???
aren't those sub-atomic particles that can pass right through a Porsche, & it never knows it ???
1990 Chevy 4x4 2500 pickup (with 255K & still rockin')
Old 10-12-2005, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

I get no love from 3rd gear at times. Not sure why, but it usually happens at the end of a long straight entering a hairpin turn.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: