Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Newbie to the Board - with question of course

Well . . . I'm about 2 weeks into my new ride and couldn't be happier. She's a 1985 Guards Red Carrera with black interior and 122k on the clock. Simply amazing condition and bought locally here in Seattle. As I see most newbies get hazed without a pic on their first posting I'll put this one up.

So here's my quesiton and may be geared to the local Seattle crowd. Not to publicly single you out John Walker but I've come across a work receipt for work done at your shop.

It states "Please Note: I don't recommend (or like) short shifters! Shifting may have a reduced throw but also the effort is increased and the trans shifts faster internally causing premature wear on shift items".

Am curious what the general consensus is around this subject as it relates to the 915 tranny. I have a feeling this statement was with regards to a non factory short shifter but not sure. Nothing indicates so on the receipt and the PO didn't supply me with the old short shifter. It was simply pulled out at some point and replaced with stock.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Looking forward to seeing you on the road. Love these machines!!

1985 924S - Still in the family and going strong
Old 10-12-2005, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
Can't answer your question, but welcome to Pelican. Two great cars . . .

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 10-12-2005, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
1977 Targa ROW

tumalo98199 - Welcome to the bored and very nice Carrera! Do you track the 924S? I understnd that with the right appointments they make for great track cars.
I'm not your Rumpelstiltskin, spin your own Gold.
"Ya can't be Pablo if ya work ain't selln'..."
Old 10-12-2005, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: the bluest city in the bluest county in the bluest state by the bluest ocean...did I mention the blue skies???
welcome welcome welcome....

you will have many questions grasshopper, all will be revealed on this bbs, your wisdom & sense of humor will grow , & someday you will know that the answer to the greatest of all Porsche 911 questions is...... " the 1975, Calif. emmissions 911S 2.7..."

Now...go out there & find out what that question is.....
1990 Chevy 4x4 2500 pickup (with 255K & still rockin')
Old 10-12-2005, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Right - I'll make up an answer and if I'm wrong someone will correct me.

All else being equal, a short shifter takes less time than a normal shifter to move from gear to gear so it beats the synchros. Think about speed shifting your nomal shifter - ie moving the lever twice as fast as you shift gears. Doesn't work so well does it? Kinda balky isn't it? Might even get a grind once in a while won't you?That's your synchros telling you to slow down your shifts .

Short shift kits speed up all your shifts ik ethis all the time, and each time your 915 trans cries a little bit. Like baby jesus when he finds out someone installed a short shift in a well used 915.

Lot's of people like 'em though, and if you're careful with them I'm sure you can get many many miles of happy motoring out of a 915 with one installed.

I can't comment on factory versus weltmeister.... if there's any difference at all it may be that one is a little slower (ie longer throw) than the other.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Welcome and congrats to picking up a fantastic car of the correct year model !

Me, I am just another newbie but rather content with my 915 box. Personally I have aimed for a new, well adjusted clutch and Swepco gear lube. I will also take apart and check / renew the parts between the gear stick and box that can affect gear change in a negative way if worn or out of tune.

If I had not been satisfied then - perhaps I would have aimed for a short shift.

Then again - anything that even marginally would risk shortening the life of an already rather fragile box would be ruled out in my mind.

Carrera '85
Old 10-13-2005, 01:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I can chime in w/an opinion.

There were two versions of the factory short shifter and 2-3 aftermarket products including one made by Weltmeister. My comments don't address aftermarket shifters that use a modified or a completely different shift housing. We'll save that for another thread.

I'm going to assume the PO had a Weltmeister installed/removed and Mr. Walker's comments were directed at this brand. Or maybe it was in reference for all short shifters, but I'll let John expand on that. Here's what I know:

From comparison tests, the '85-'86 semi-short shifters reduce the shift distance approx. 10% and the optional M241 short shifter, 25%. The WM shifter reduces it about 39%. The net effect is that when shifting (all things being equal), the shorter the throw (WM), the more strain placed on the synchro mechanism. That's the notchiness one feels as the throw is reduced. The WM also has a shorter lever (less travel, less leverage). IMO, the factory short shifter provides a good compromise between shift feel, wear and a reduced throw distance. YMMV, but that's what I use.

You'll hear from others about taking it easy when shifting. It's good advice. I even advocate double-clutching while down shifting to help extend synchro life in all forward gears. Using this technique, quicker downshifts are possible as well as okay. Some owners discount double-clutching claiming that's what synchros are for, but I suspect these non-double clutchers can only downshift to 1st while at rest because 1st gear synchro is worn and 2nd gear synchro is not far behind.

Plenty in the archives too.

Hope this helps,
Sherwood
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars

Last edited by 911pcars; 10-13-2005 at 02:41 AM..
Old 10-13-2005, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

JW is right. Stay with the factory shifter. As Sherwood has pointed out it is already a "short" shifter.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: