Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
resident samsquamch

930 Clutch Questions

Hi All! Though, I've been a long time stalker/lurker on this board, I do buy most of my parts from Pelican. I'm a regular on Rennlist, but find that it moves a little slow when trying to get questions answered.

Anyway, I have a 1987 930 and have the engine and tranny out of the car for a clutch job. The OEM rubber centered disc finally disintegrated. I'm replacing all of the parts (Flywheel, P/P, T/O Bearing, Pilot Bearing, Crank Main Seal, T/O Bearing Fork, all hardware, etc. I intend on using a spring centered disc and according to Pelican the early 3.0 Turbo cars used a spring centered disc and this should work with "no modifications" on a car that originally used the rubber one. My questions is: do I purchase just the spring centered disc for use with the P/P and T/O bearing that was originally designed for my car, or do I need to purchase the early P/P and T/O bearing to match the early disc? In other words, are these parts (early disc and later P/P) compatible?

Oh, and here's an obligatory picture of the car in question:

Thanks In Advance,
Jeff

PS: yes I did a search!

Old 10-17-2005, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

just swap the disc. my experience though is that the 930 spring discs are prone to a bit of chatter, so i only use the rubber hub discs on 930 clutch jobs, unless the customer insists, to avoid having to do it again. i did one '87 3 times with 3 different clutch kits before i said screw it, and used a rubber hub. that was with a new flywheel too.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 10-17-2005, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

And the man I was sooo hoping would reply...HAS! I once read on this board that if John Walker tells you to do it then make it so! But I never would have guessed that someone would advise me to keep the rubber centered thing!!! By the way, this car is my daily driver and though I've got a k27-7200 turbo, B&B headers, B&B I/C, I don't really plan on making monterous amounts of HP. Above anything else, I want reliability. So having said all of that...keep with the rubber?
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-17-2005, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Post some more pics of your 930 - glad you got the response you were looking for!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Here ya go:

I have put the original black paddle Fuchs back on it, and it looks much more understated now. When I've tired of the Fuchs, I suppose I'll rock the SSRs again. They're a little too flashy.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Anyone else have an opinion on the clutch? Being that there are so many parts to purchase and replace, I really can't afford one of the Centerforce or KEP packages. I didn't realize that once the rubber hubbed clutch wore out that people actually put them back in as a replacement!! Pelican advises against it in their parts catalog. Now I'm confused. I just don't want to make a mistake. It's a real PITA for my family when Daddy's car is down for repairs. BOO HOO!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-17-2005, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

Call Stephen Kaspar at ImagineAuto, 913 310 9927.
2005 Lexus GX470 Offroader
Julian Williams
Old 10-17-2005, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

my rubber centered clutch wore out this past summer, i opted for the spring centered clutch. i've put 1000 miles on it - there's no chatter and it feels great, as a new clutch should.

cooterville sounds like a nice place to live.

'06 Cayman S
'96 993tt
'87 930 (gone, but not forgotten)
Old 10-17-2005, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

btw, very nice looking 930, love the white.

'06 Cayman S
'96 993tt
'87 930 (gone, but not forgotten)
Old 10-17-2005, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Thanks for the compliment(s). I dearly love the car, but due to the low mileage (I purchased it with 39,000 miles), I'm having a helluva time getting it all sorted out! In all honesty, it makes a great daily driver! The thing has always been part of someone's collection instead of driven hard and regularly as Porsche intended!! So I'm dealing with lot's of annoying oil leaks! I'm planning on dropping the cam chain boxes while the engine is out to fix a plethora of leaks! I've got to get my trusty dial indicator out so that I can re-time the cams. I'm sure I'll be posting a question about that one soon! HA!

Cooterville is just South of Hooterville! HAHAHA!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by sand_man

Cooterville is just South of Hooterville! HAHAHA!
Be sure to include some pics of Cooterville

I bought the KEP Stage 1 PP with an early 930 disk for my G50 conversion. I am happy with the clutch.

Dean

Old 10-17-2005, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: