Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
resident samsquamch

930 Clutch Installation Tips

Thanks to all of those who posted advice on which clutch to purchase for my '87 930. I've decided to use the "early" 3.0 Turbo spring centered disk with the a stock pressure plate. I should have all of the new parts tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm trying to get my game plan down before I dive into this again.

It looks as though this is a "pull" type clutch with the T/O Bearing attached to the backside of the pressure plate. There are ears on either side of the T/O bearing that look as though they engage with the fingers on the clutch fork. Does anyone have advice on making certain that the bearing has actually engaged and locked onto the fork fingers? Do I just use the small openings in the bell-housing to watch things as a I mate the tranny and engine (sounds kinky)? I want to make certain that this biatch will not need to come back out because these parts didn't engage properly!!!! I hope that's clear as mud! I guess this must not really be a problem as I didn't find too many posts about it.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 10-17-2005, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Well I did find some info after a few in depth searches. I guess it's possible that the new T/O Bearing that will come with my clutch might not have the "ears" on it as the original one does. I guess there might be a groove along the outside that the clutch fork fits into as the engine and tranny are put togther. I'll just take it slow and watch and feel. Luckily there are a couple of openings on the tranny that might help with the alignment.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-17-2005, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Jeff,

You are smart for not committing the same mistake I did last week. I did not know that the fork must engage the t/o bearing. So I had no choice but to drop the engine again.

BTW, I did not have a helper so I had issues pushing the tranny onto the engine. What worked for me was using the stud where the starter goes. It is longer. So I used it to mate the tranny and engine by screwing the nut.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Thanks, cab83_750. I guess I'm a bit of a lone wolf when it comes to the repairs, so I'm used to (prefer) working by myself...although there are times when a helper would be nice for additional muscle! I guess we'll see what it all looks like once I've gotten all the new parts today. From the pictures, though, it appears that my replacement bearing will NOT have the ears extending from the center of the bearing...looks like it's a deep groove cut into the outside diameter of the bearing.

Anyone else?

Tanx,
Jeff
Old 10-18-2005, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Got an update: The rear main seal that came with my clutch kit is the infamous "BLACK" one, which I've heard is notorious for leaking!!!!! I was able to get "mechanic's pricing" from a local supply house and saved hundreds on the deal....so if I have to purchase a new "Viton" seal from our host, all is not lost. However, are the rumors about this seal true? Is it only on certain models? Does our host (Pelican) offer the "dark brown" one? Also, the T/O/B that came with my kit does have the ears on it...so it looks like a direct replacement.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-18-2005, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Not taking any chances on this thing...I ordered the OEM Porsche Main Seal (flywheel seal) from our host...the one that came with my clutch kit was manufactured by Federal Mogul and is as black as coal...my wife will kill me if I have to drop this damn engine again due to a $16 seal failing!!!

Old 10-18-2005, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: