Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

decel valve adjustable in 3.2?

Hi,

Is the decel valve adjustable in a 86 3.2?

I think my rpm drops too fast in between shifts when i clutch in, so i have to add some accelerator before engaging the clutch to ensure a smooth shift. If it is not adjustable, is there anything else i can adjust?

Thanks

Old 10-18-2005, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
GFCC

Check your Idle Control Valve for movement (Remove it and shake it back and forth - it should move freely). Clean it with Isopropyl if the plunger doesn't move freely. Check out this thread...

a bit of alcohol

1976 911 Coupe w/ Euro 3.0 - Sold
1987 Carrera Coupe - Sold
1999 Carrera Cabriolet - Current
Old 10-18-2005, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I don't think a 3.2 with Motronic has a decel valve.

Can you be more specific about the symptoms?

For example, when you release the throttle does the RPM drop to around 500 and then climb back up to a normal 800? Or are you saying that you think the rate of RPM drop is too quick but that it drops to a normal 800 RPM?

The reason I ask is that if the RPM drops to a normal figure (800) but you feel the rate is too quick, then the only thing that can be done is to have a re-mapped chip installed in the Motronic brain under the drivers seat. The Motronic controls that function and actually shuts off the injectors when you release the throttle. At some point around 1000 RPM or so, it'll turn the injectors back on in order to catch the RPM drop and allow it to stabilize at 800. The only way to slow the rate would be to have the re-mapped chip turn the injectors back on at a slightly higher RPM in order to soften the RPM drop slightly.

If, on the othr hand, your RPM drops to around 500 or so and then comes back up, you have some other issues - possibly the Idle Control Valve or the idle mixture setting or any number of other possibilities.

If I were you, I'd PM Steve Wong with your question. He's a nice guy and will get right back to you.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

ok.. sorry for not being specific enough. Yes i'm only talking about the rate of the drop. I think its to do with the fact that you have to shift a 915 slowly. Normally when you change gears in a conventional car, in the time it take to shift up a gear, the rpm drops to around the right rpm range that the engine will be in for the higher gear. But in my 911 it drops below this, and therefore you have to either compensate for this with added accelerator, or engine braking.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hmm. Ok. Now I know what you're talking about.

Personally, I just blip the throttle up a little before I let the clutch out. You will do it so naturally and quickly that you will eventually forget that you do it at all.

That old 915 needs some time to shift.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: