Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Newbie question about H4 headlights ('84 RoW)

After reading several posts about the 'city' or European parking lights, I decided that I'd like to wire mine in, as they were originally.

My H4s are not adjustable without removing the trim rings like all of the others I've seen. I've assumed that this is because they are factory lights that came installed on my '84 RoW. Just wanting some clarification there.

Also, after I take the trim rings off, I have two phillips head screws that I believe to be adjusters (not sure though). There is also one screw at the bottom of the light, that the trim ring screwed into. I am afraid to 'pry' on the light to see if it will come out without removing the two phillips screws. Are these adjusters, or are they holding the light into the bucket? The black surround on the headlights appear to be OE, and are very 'hard', much harder than the rubber gaskets. I'm afraid to pry on them too much, as I don't want to crack or break them.

I know I sound like a total newbie, but I just don't want to break anything!

Here are some pics to help explain a little...

Overall shot of the light, minus the trim ring:

One of the phillips screws:

The other:

And the trim ring, for reference:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Mike

'84 Grand Prix White RoW Carrera
'12 Black/black 6M w/Brembo package Mustang GT (DD)
'05 Black/Tan Mazda 6s Sedan (wife's)
Old 06-03-2006, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Mike,

The screw at the very bottom hold the lamp assembly in the headlight bucket and the other two screws are for aiming the light. To remove the lamp, just remove the bottom screw and leave the others alone. It will take a little effort to remove the lamp; once the screw is out, pull the bottom forward, as if there were a hinge at the top.

JR
Old 06-03-2006, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the reassurance. I thought that was correct, but wasn't 100% sure. Anyone have any tips to pry it out, so I won't scratch the paint or break anything? Jeesh, if this were my Audi or any of my previous VWs, I would have yanked on it until it gave. I feel like a total newb!

Anyone know any more about the headlights? Are they original H4 lights? I assume so, as most of the 'new' Euro H4s has the adjustment screws in the trim ring. Just curious!

Later,
Mike

Old 06-03-2006, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

To get it out, use an awl with a 90 degree bend or hook on the end. Or, you can use a screwdriver, after first wrapping it in tape. It helps to also apply tape to the car, as insurance. Use the green or blue masking tape designed for easy removal.

The lights are stock. They came with black or chrome bezels and the painted trim ring was an option at times.

JR
Old 06-03-2006, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sounds good. I appreciate the suggestions.

Mike

Old 06-03-2006, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
In removing the lights, after taking out the bottom screw I've found it helpful to press down on the top of the light assembly (the reverse of putting them back on...it helps to press down on the top until you feel the bottom part of the housing "pop" into place).
1968 sand beige 911 coupe #11830091
1984 metallic moss green 911 Carrera coupe
1981 red Alfa Romeo Spider
Old 06-03-2006, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Be careful here as the screw at the bottom of the headlight ring is a two piece screw. The small screw that holds the trim ring cover on screws into the larger lug screw that holds the headlight assembly in the fender bucket. You should not have to pry anything to get the headlight assembly out. The trim ring screw is a phillps head and the larger assembly lug screw is a large flat slotted screw. With the trim ring cover off unscrew the lug screw and the headlight assembly should be loose at the bottom. The top inside edge of the chrome assembly ring just sits on a small flange on the top edge of the fender. The other two phillip screws are your horizontal and vertical adjusters to the headlight.

Your reflectors look faded in the pictures. You can get those re-chromed and they will improve the light output about 80%. It costs about $125.00 for the pair and is well worth the cost.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Re: Newbie question about H4 headlights ('84 RoW)

Quote:
Originally posted by 911 in SC

My H4s are not adjustable without removing the trim rings like all of the others I've seen. I've assumed that this is because they are factory lights that came installed on my '84 RoW. Just wanting some clarification there.

Your trim ring is the paintable one. The one underneath is usually chrome and can be used w/o the overlay ring. That's why you see others with the adjuster screws exposed.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Immature Member

Garage
My car has Euro H4 with colour-keyed trim rings and I just did a re-aim a short while ago. Weird setup... the single visible screw at the bottom of the trim ring is the same one that retains the chrome one below. So when I remove the trim ring to get to the adjusting screws the whole headlight is loose. Had to replace lower screw (without colour trim ring on) and aim beam, then remove the lower screw again, loosening headlight, to replace coloured trim ring and tighten headlight back up. Seemes "screwy" to me, but it looks nicely finished when all back together. Looks like yours are the same.
EDIT: it just dawned on me... my trim ring didn't screw into another screw, there is only one screw. Anyone have a picture or description of these screws? Is there a phillips head on the first (under) screw that is also threaded internally to accept a 2nd, smaller screw? I think maybe a PO buggered up the original and improvised with a simpler replacement.
"Lowering the bar with every post!"

Last edited by dentist90; 06-03-2006 at 08:46 PM..
Old 06-03-2006, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Immature Member

Garage
Nevermind, I found them in Pelican Parts listings. I learn something everytime I read a post!
"Lowering the bar with every post!"
Old 06-03-2006, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Very good info here! Thanks to everyone.

My lights are definitely not 'loose' after removing the slotted lug screw. In fact, it didn't seem to loosen up at all. I pushed pretty hard on the assy and it didn't budge. That was one of the reasons I posted. I will take the trim ring off again, and use an awl or a flat blade screwdriver to see if I can get them to move. I'll use the painters tape and 'guard' the paint and lights.

Obviously, my rings underneath the trim rings are flat black and appear to be plastic (I'm assuming this was original to the car), so that's why it didn't make sense to me. So are you saying that some people leave the trim ring off?

Where can I get the housings re-chromed? How do they come apart, or do I ship them complete?

Thanks again,
Mike

Old 06-04-2006, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dentist90
Nevermind, I found them in Pelican Parts listings. I learn something everytime I read a post!
If you want a pic of the screws, I'll post one when I remove them again. Most likely in a couple of weeks. Going swimming today with the family, and will be getting ready for vacation in a couple of weeks...

Later,
Mike

Old 06-04-2006, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Pelican has the correct screws. There are two...the one that holds the headlight on is slotted, but has a hollow, threaded center. With the headlight installed, the trim ring attaches with a second screw that threads into the hollow center of the first.

This is the "first" screw that holds on the light. Note the theaded center hole for the outer, trim ring screw. Sorry about the bug spatters...
1968 sand beige 911 coupe #11830091
1984 metallic moss green 911 Carrera coupe
1981 red Alfa Romeo Spider
Old 06-04-2006, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Stupid jargon question - what is an RoW?

85 Carrera
64 Honda Dream - for sale
71 Hodaka Super Rat - keeper
Old 06-04-2006, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

"Rest Of (the) World." It means a 911 (or whatever) that was built to meet the regulations of countries that weren't as picky about emissions and safety regulations, like the US or Japan. Typically a car built for a country in Europe. What we all want, basically.

JR
Old 06-04-2006, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thank you.

85 Carrera
64 Honda Dream - for sale
71 Hodaka Super Rat - keeper
Old 06-04-2006, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks for posting the pic Roger. Of course, thanks for the tips too!

Yeah, RoW is what others refer to as Euro.

Mike

Old 06-04-2006, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Also "just to be clear"....

These "aero" style Bosch H4's (as opposed to say the Hella "flat" style) are built with a "surround" ring as part of the main headlight structure.... that is EITHER chrome or black primered. It is metal. The "painted trim rings", usually are separate pieces that go over the main headlight unit....covering either the black primered or chrome basic unit. Obviously, this allows a number of "mix-n'-matches". Some people like the chrome look ( or black primered look) and don't bother with adding the additional trim rings. Some people paint the black-primered "main" units. Etc.....

- Wil
Old 06-04-2006, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: