Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How do I disable/remove alarm?

Howdy,

I have a 1986 3.2 Carrera. It has the factory alarm that I need to disable. It has a keyed tumbler in the door that has two leads that connect back into the wiring loom. I have the door removed and the tumbler disconnected. When I reconnect the battery and try to start it, the horn goes off.

So the question is, how do I expunge this thing from the car? Or at the very least, disable it so that I can start the car and move it. I'd like to not reconnect the tumbler, I guess I will if I have to, but surely there's a cleaner way.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Hal
Old 09-27-2006, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
GFCC

1. Remove the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the fresh air handler in the front trunk.
3. Looking into the trunk, the alarm module will be on the left side of the car. Mine had 10 wires coming from it.
4. Find the blue and blue/red wires leaving the unit. They are located in the #61 terminals. Cut these wires and connect the ends that lead away from the alarm (make a good permenant connection, you don't want to have to take the air handler out again). Cap off the ends at the alarm module.
5. Cut the black wire leaving the alarm module. It is in terminal 87A. Cap off the end at the alarm module. Connect the end leading away from the module to another piece of wire and connect that to the bottom of the #8 fuse (which is actually the 11th one back, counting from rear of car to front).
6. Reconnect negative cable on battery and start the car.
7. If you want to put a manual "kill switch" in, install an in-line toggle switch on the black wire before the fuse box.

1976 911 Coupe w/ Euro 3.0 - Sold
1987 Carrera Coupe - Sold
1999 Carrera Cabriolet - Current
Old 09-27-2006, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Reconnect the switch
Old 09-28-2006, 01:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You can buy a new keyed switch and then have a functional alarm for very little money. That's what I did with mine.

Regards,

Jerry Kroeger
1939 Ford Convertible Coupe
Old 09-28-2006, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Is it possible to completely remove the OEM alarm?

I'm using the wiring harness of an '85 for my '70 3.2 transplant which comes with all the accessories, ie, lock mechanism, alarm, power mirrors etc. I plan to remove all wiring related to this stuff.

Does anyone know if I can safely remove all alarm wires, alarm module and expect to be able to start my car in the future?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

For about $100 bucks you can get a new tumbler and key and now you have a working alarm. That's what I did and I actually use it once in a while.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks.

I'm not sure what condidtion it is... so it may not even be working, I rather remove it and not have to deal with extra electrical wiring.

Anyone out there who's successfully removed it? Is there any "jumper" wiring i need to do at the fuse box?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

It appears that the switch is nothing more than a two position resistor. You could buy a resistor that matches the value of the off-position and put that inline. That would, in effect, hard wire it off.

I don't have my Haynes handy but the values are listed.

I'm also exploring other options.

Hal
Old 10-18-2006, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hal,

I noticed two wires go into the fuse box... are these the two wires that I need to join with a resistor? All the alarm wiring is off the car now, but I made a note of where the wires connected into the fuse box.

By the way, that's an incredible blog you've got going on your car... Lots of good info.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

No. It's between the Grey and Brown wires on the control box and it should be 4 to 5.5 kOhms.

Thanks for the compliment on the site. I see you have a little site going on your project, too. It looks great. How long has it taken you? How long do you think you have until you're finished?

Hal
Old 10-19-2006, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hal,

All the wiring including the Alarm control box was removed... hmmm... any ideas on what I can do to still be able to start the car. As you can see from the site, it's far from being finished, just trying to be pro-active and handle all the possible wiring gremlins now. All the wiring came from an '85 donor car.

My site only has pictures, hope to add written content like yours one of these days

I started the project 14 months ago and I think I'm half-way there!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: