Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Reading this as I'm about to do this.

I noticed that the original badge is flat. The replacement I bought is convex from the front.
Are they all like that?

Yep the gasket is too small.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I bought mine here and it was not fun to install. too small.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
OK, this is what I did. Dropped the gasket in a coffee cup of hot water. Installed the warm gasket on the badge with the gasket lip in the right place on the top of the badge. Then installed both on the hood. Started to tighten down the badge..........Then, I slipped a small strip of sandpaper under the gasket with the spaper grit touching the rubber gasket and the smooth paper on the hood. As I tightened it down, I slowly pulled the gasket into place. It worked perfectly. Almost need three hands to do it right so get a fellow detail person to assist.

Steve
Old 09-15-2008, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Steve,

Mine were so far off your sand paper method would have not worked. I still think there must be more than one manufacture of these gaskets to account for the various differences in the ease of installs. Are any of the current gaskets OEM?

It's no trick to have these gaskets made, but the costs probably out weigh the return...
Old 09-15-2008, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Just a thought while reading this thread. Is it possible, or likely, that some of the gaskets are old stock and have shrunk and become a bit hardened? That could account for gaskets that fit and don't fit coming from the same supplier. I'm imagining a bin of individually wrapped gaskets sitting on a shelf in a warehouse and the bin gets refilled periodically with new stock when the supply gets low--and who knows how old the "new stock" is from the manufacturer/wholesaler/distributor.

Just a thought.
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip
Old 09-15-2008, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

just go to the porsche dealer locally, the gaskets are like 5-7$ NEW, and u can try them on the spot with your badge for a fitting.

also, use BOILING water for a few seconds, not just warm tap water.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
I believe it boils down to one thing, and one thing only. Either you have an original OEM part or an aftermarket reproduction part. The OEM part fits without any boiling water, stretching, gluing, etc., period...

Here's the P/N - 7L5-853-611-B - List price $5.40...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
A bit off topic fellas but has anyone got a source for a SILVER hood badge. I've read quite a bit about their existence and Porsche's objections but someone must have some sitting around.
Nod ...Nod, wink..wink?

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. Great to see you in this thread Mitch I'll catch up with a PM.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"

Silver 1984 M491 Sunroof Coupe
Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: