Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
davis911s

Post visual inspection of clutch-when to replace

My engine is still out of my car, It will be going back in this month. What should I look for in regards to the clutch. I don't want to put it all back in to have to take it apart to replace clutch next year, but I don't want to waste a good clutch, should I check certain things? Measurements? The clutch felt good before I took it out and is 2 years old, approx 20,000Km.

Thanks in advance

Shawn
Old 04-15-2001, 08:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
john walker's workshop

most folks can get 80K out of a clutch if they drive normally, so yours should be almost virgin. if there was no chatter, and there's no evidence of oiling, and the rivets are not too close to the surface, it should be ok.
Old 04-15-2001, 08:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
stormcrow

Hi Shawn,

There are several things you can do to determine if you need to replace your clutch.

Clean the flywheel face and pressure plate assembly. Also check the friction surface of the flywheel for cracks and groves. Check the pressure plate for craked or broken springs, evidence of overheating and look for a cracked or scored friction surface.

Check the release lever ends for wear. Check the clutch disc lining for wear, cracks, oil and burns. The assembled thickness of the disc should be at least 0.36 in.

Check the release bearing for wear. If other clutch parts are worn and need replacing, than the bearing should be replaced.

Hope this info helps.

Steve
Old 04-15-2001, 08:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Early_S_Man

Shawn,

The wear limit for your clutch disk is 6.0 mm, and it starts at 8.1 mm. The closer you are to that limit, the more likely a new one will be needed in the near future!

------------------
Warren Hall
1973 911S Targa
Old 04-15-2001, 08:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 04-15-2001, 08:47 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: