Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 911 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/)
-   -   Bremtek Racing Calipers (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/422414-bremtek-racing-calipers.html)

martin_gibson 07-29-2008 07:40 AM

Bremtek Racing Calipers
 
My recently acquired 72T is equipped with a set of 80's f+r Bremtek Racing calipers.

Despite searching I can't find much in the way of information regarding these particular calipers (which seem comparable to 930 calipers) so presumably they weren't a commercial success for Bremtek - any historical perspective would be of interest.

I would also appreciate any tips on how to stop the incessant 'quadrophonic' rattling of the brake pads everytime I go over a bump?

Thx

Martin
911t RSR(ish)
911SC 3.6

TRE Cup 07-29-2008 07:54 AM

Bremtek was the name applied by a couple of porsche guys that had them mfg for the 911s. They are based on early wilwood calipers (could not tell you what model) and in the past (many moons ago), we rebuilt a set using parts from wilwood.
Fwiw- They did not have dust seals and the pistons were not very good on the ones we worked on

as far as the rattling- research some other calipers that have spring clips. Take a look at the S and A oem calipers for what they look like on those pieces. You will need something similar.

the bremteks were for racing (hence always noisy one way or the other)- and their lengthy disclaimer at time of purchase made that clear

martin_gibson 07-29-2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRE Cup (Post 4088742)
......as far as the rattling- research some other calipers that have spring clips. Take a look at the S and A oem calipers for what they look like on those pieces. You will need something similar. the bremteks were for racing (hence always noisy one way or the other)- and their lengthy disclaimer at time of purchase made that clear

Appreciate the feedback.

I was wondering if there is any backing material that could be used to prevent the pads rattling around?

Thx

Martin

TRE Cup 07-30-2008 07:47 AM

tried it- didn't work
tried the sticky plates with some fabricated end trim plates to keep pads from rocking (since there is only one pin in the center) - didn't work
searched for a while to see if we could get the spreader tins from some mfg or other- ran out of patience- these have to be fabricated and in theory with items 1 and 2 should work

rattlsnak 07-30-2008 08:12 PM

The Bremteks i had were simply held on by a large cotter pin through the center of the pads. Really no way to stop the rattling.

martin_gibson 08-01-2008 11:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Shame about the rattling coz the Bremteks certainly stop the car well enough so looks like I either install the 930's or wait for the Zuffenhaus boys to get their 917 caliper act together.

Martin

175K911 08-01-2008 02:15 PM

Martin, if you send me an email or PM with your address, I can send you a copy of the original Bremtek literature. I'd considered these brakes for my previous 911 back when the brakes were still on the market and still have the original literature.

And if you decide to sell them, put me in line first please.

Ed

martin_gibson 08-01-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 175K911 (Post 4096250)
Martin, if you send me an email or PM with your address, I can send you a copy of the original Bremtek literature. I'd considered these brakes for my previous 911 back when the brakes were still on the market and still have the original literature. And if you decide to sell them, put me in line first please. Ed

Ed PM sent

Thx

Martin

Flank 08-06-2008 10:04 AM

Martin and all,
I'm currently working on a 74 Carrera that has the Bremteks. So I thought I'd post some pictures so the folks at home can see what the Bremtek Racing calipers look like.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1218044911.jpg


You can see that they are a four piston caliper and the pads are held in by one pin.


http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1218045064.jpg

When I took these out to take the picture, there was a paper backing that someone put between the pad and the pistons. But the pistons had cut right through this paper backing and again were making direct contact to the back of the pad.
A friend that knows about rattling brake pads in racing calipers says that the movement (rattling) is so the pistons will move back into the calipers quickly and not drag on the brake disk.


http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1218045526.jpg

These brakes seemed to of worked almost too good or they had way to hard of a brake pad for the street because they really wore down into the brake disk so much that I had to really work at getting them out.
I'm glad we know they were made by Wilwood, because I need to get new pads for them before putting the 74 back on the road.

Later, Flank

martin_gibson 08-06-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flank (Post 4105355)
I'm currently working on a 74 Carrera that has the Bremteks. So I thought I'd post some pictures so the folks at home can see what the Bremtek Racing calipers look like.

Flank,

Thanks for the photo's, I will post some mounted pictures before I shed my own Bremteks.

Martin

martin_gibson 08-06-2008 01:08 PM

Bremtek Calipers
 
Some Bremtek info from one of the boxes that came with the car:

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...tek_Page_1.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...tek_Page_2.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...tek_Page_3.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...tek_Page_4.jpg

According to the advert, they claimed 40% or 200% more effective that 930 calipers depending on type ;) and certainly weren't cheap for the late 80's - a real shame about the annoying rattles. :(

Martin

martin_gibson 05-27-2009 10:54 AM

Goodwood Trackday
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_gibson (Post 4105798)
According to the advert, they claimed 40% or 200% more effective that 930 calipers depending on type and certainly weren't cheap for the late 80's - a real shame about the annoying rattles.

Well finally got to use the Bremtek Racing Calipers properly on my first trackday at the historic Goodwood circuit in West Sussex, UK this holiday weekend. :)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...n/CIMG2570.jpg

Amazingly after a few laps the Bremtek calipers stopped rattling and then transformed from the wooden and unresponsive feel they have on the road to what I can only describe as a well balanced, sensitive and very powerful braking system on the track.

Unfortunately the rattling still drove me mad on the way home and despite their power (when warm) they really are unsuited to our great British (potholed) roads, so regretfully the newly refurbished 930 calipers will (still) be replacing them later this week :(

Martin

GaryR 06-29-2009 04:52 PM

I just started dismantling the doner car (rotted) for my RSR project and it has the Bremteks on the rear. I'm told it had them on the front also but they were replaced with Boxster brakes. I'm amazed that both fit fine under the 16" Fuchs that were on the car.

911pcars 06-29-2009 08:24 PM

Do the pads rattle from trying to pivot around the retaining pin or from the axial clearance between the pad and the rotor? Just curious.

Sherwood

TRE Cup 06-29-2009 09:04 PM

As an experiment on a 4 wheel bremtek install, we put pad limiters, glued on backing plates, ground rotors, slotted rotors, different compounds, anti noise grease, different diameter pins, fashioned spring clips for them and gave up after trying all of this. Felt like keystone cops running around in SQUEAKY circles.

Probably great track caliper alternative, given how cheap you can find these. But not my choice for a street car. Caveat: Now that i typed this x,y, and z owners of cars equipped with these will tell us how quiet THEIR cars are ! ;) Prolly so, not every car is the same

GaryR 06-30-2009 04:10 AM

I most likely will swap them out for something else to match up with the Boxster calipers that are up front, possibly 3.2 Carerra brakes or something. Then again I may just do stock SC brakes all around, they are good enough for my race car, shouldn't be a problem with a street car!

martin_gibson 06-30-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRE Cup (Post 4751477)
As an experiment on a 4 wheel bremtek install, we put pad limiters, glued on backing plates, ground rotors, slotted rotors, different compounds, anti noise grease, different diameter pins, fashioned spring clips for them and gave up after trying all of this. Felt like keystone cops running around in SQUEAKY circles.

It's a real shame there doesn't seem to be a fix for the caliper rattle coz once hot (on the track) the Bremtek calipers are superb, in fact I would go as far as saying I am a little underwhelmed with the replacement (albeit quiet) 930 calipers however I'll reserve judgement until I've sorted out the master cylinder.

Here's they are after I had them pulled :(

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...n/CIMG2645.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...n/CIMG2646.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...n/CIMG2649.jpg

.......and pretty impressive that they'll fit under a 15" Fuchs.

Martin

safe 07-01-2009 07:31 AM

Martin, you didn't take a look at these Carbon 12 calipers?
Expensive, but not much more than 930 calipers, maybe less even.

http://www.early911.co.uk/html/calipers.html

martin_gibson 07-01-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by safe (Post 4754025)
Martin, you didn't take a look at these Carbon 12 calipers?
Expensive, but not much more than 930 calipers, maybe less even.

Magnus,

Yes, I'm familiar with the C12 calipers which I understand are very good, however I already had a set of 930 calipers which are as period correct as I can get without sourcing some RSR units.

Thx

Martin

Ferraripete 07-01-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRE Cup (Post 4088742)
Bremtek was the name applied by a couple of porsche guys that had them mfg for the 911s. They are based on early wilwood calipers (could not tell you what model) and in the past (many moons ago), we rebuilt a set using parts from wilwood.
Fwiw- They did not have dust seals and the pistons were not very good on the ones we worked on

as far as the rattling- research some other calipers that have spring clips. Take a look at the S and A oem calipers for what they look like on those pieces. You will need something similar.

the bremteks were for racing (hence always noisy one way or the other)- and their lengthy disclaimer at time of purchase made that clear

based on the wilwood superlite calipers. the pads can be purchased at virtually any circletrack parts supplier such as afco, coleman, hutch bsr.

the calipers are waaaayyyyyy better than most upgrades sans the brembo big reds. the big reds may be marginally better. those bremteks are serious race quality parts!!! keep them!!!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website


DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.