Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 911 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/)
-   -   metric dial indicator question (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/552657-metric-dial-indicator-question.html)

opata 07-11-2010 04:32 PM

metric dial indicator question

Hello,
I also post this on the engine rebuild form but since this get more traffic.

I have a metric dial indicator for cam timing. Is one revolution on the indicator 1mm? Or is one notch (0,01mm) therefore 1 on the dial is 1mm....I know silly question. My eyes arnt good and i thought the comma was a decimal point. Therefore i adjusted my cams to .015mm instead of 1.55mm as the dial didn't go all the way around...I am ready to start my engine and Before I start my engine I want to make sure i did it right? Otherwise have to drop it out and do it over. Oh well....

Alan

equality72521 07-11-2010 04:35 PM

I don't know but I would have asked this question while I was doing it. Good luck and I hope you did it right.

opata 07-11-2010 04:39 PM

Hello,
I did and didn't get a clear answer....everyone said my procedure was correct. Now I am second guessing...
thanks!
Alan

equality72521 07-11-2010 04:43 PM

I see. Well, I've always understood that the euro comma was the same as our decimal point but don't take my word. Good luck.

opata 07-11-2010 05:20 PM

I think I did it wrong :( Glad I caught it though. Not a big deal i'll time them while the engine is in the car......

Alan

gregwils 07-11-2010 05:37 PM

You want to pre-load the dial with tension, then the dial will make one complete revolution before you take the reading. I assume you have Wayne's book. Read it several times and read every word. It will make sense once you give it another try.

opata 07-11-2010 07:22 PM

Hello,
Yup been followin Wayne's book. Just dont know how to read the gauge. :)
Thanks!!!!

Geronimo '74 07-12-2010 01:39 AM

I would say 1 revolution is 1mm.
In Europe we use a comma where in the US one uses a decimal point.
(and get a pair of glasses or contacts for your eyes... ;))

Gunter 07-12-2010 07:54 AM

Alan,

Post a clear picture of the Metric Dial-Indicator face and we'll see what is says. :)

aigel 07-12-2010 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunter (Post 5450364)
Alan,

Post a clear picture of the Metric Dial-Indicator face and we'll see what is says. :)

+1. Or post an image of the exact make and model you have. Otherwise there is no telling.

This is why I prefer a digital dial indicator. Costs a little more but it spits the number out right at you in mm (or switch it to inches, when you work on an old piece of American iron). I know this won't help you on your issue, but I figure I mention it for everyone else that may be shopping for a dial indicator.

George