Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
metric dial indicator question

Hello,
I also post this on the engine rebuild form but since this get more traffic.

I have a metric dial indicator for cam timing. Is one revolution on the indicator 1mm? Or is one notch (0,01mm) therefore 1 on the dial is 1mm....I know silly question. My eyes arnt good and i thought the comma was a decimal point. Therefore i adjusted my cams to .015mm instead of 1.55mm as the dial didn't go all the way around...I am ready to start my engine and Before I start my engine I want to make sure i did it right? Otherwise have to drop it out and do it over. Oh well....

Alan

Old 07-11-2010, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I don't know but I would have asked this question while I was doing it. Good luck and I hope you did it right.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 07-11-2010, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hello,
I did and didn't get a clear answer....everyone said my procedure was correct. Now I am second guessing...
thanks!
Alan
Old 07-11-2010, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I see. Well, I've always understood that the euro comma was the same as our decimal point but don't take my word. Good luck.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 07-11-2010, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I think I did it wrong Glad I caught it though. Not a big deal i'll time them while the engine is in the car......

Alan
Old 07-11-2010, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mo money = mo parts

Garage
You want to pre-load the dial with tension, then the dial will make one complete revolution before you take the reading. I assume you have Wayne's book. Read it several times and read every word. It will make sense once you give it another try.

86 Coupe (stock - pretty much like Butzi designed it)
65 Ducati Monza 250 & 66 Monza Junior (project)
"if you are lucky enough to own a Porsche, you are lucky enough"
Old 07-11-2010, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Hello,
Yup been followin Wayne's book. Just dont know how to read the gauge.
Thanks!!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
I would say 1 revolution is 1mm.
In Europe we use a comma where in the US one uses a decimal point.
(and get a pair of glasses or contacts for your eyes... )
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 07-12-2010, 01:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
Alan,

Post a clear picture of the Metric Dial-Indicator face and we'll see what is says.
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
Alan,

Post a clear picture of the Metric Dial-Indicator face and we'll see what is says.
+1. Or post an image of the exact make and model you have. Otherwise there is no telling.

This is why I prefer a digital dial indicator. Costs a little more but it spits the number out right at you in mm (or switch it to inches, when you work on an old piece of American iron). I know this won't help you on your issue, but I figure I mention it for everyone else that may be shopping for a dial indicator.

George

Old 07-12-2010, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: