Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Front suspension: initial A-arm /TB setting - help

Hi

I am putting my suspension back on my Carrera 3.0

It has now got fiberglass fenders and front bumper, meaning a little lighter than stock

I have already attempted to set the rear to what I'd call a low euro ride height. For this I used excellent guidance from pelican - thanks

Now I am about to get ready to drop the car back on the ground, for this I need to install TBs etc.

What should the initial angle of the a-arms be as hanging off loaded with the TBs installed to achieve that same low euro height?

The TBs are elephant racing 22mm solids the a-arm bushings are rebel racing rsr Teflon type.

www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
just put the screws back to about the same place as before

then drive a few bumpy miles and reset as per the factory spec./corner balance, etc.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Doesn't really matter. You can set it to the same angle it was before you took it apart. Set the car down, roll it back and forth a few times to settle the suspension back down, measure your height, and make adjustments. The adjustments can be made with the height adjuster or by indexing the TB's depending on how bad it is. The fronts is really easy to correct compared to the front. Basically measure what how much you'd like to lower or raise, then raise or lower the balljoint by that much and lock the adjustments in.

As Randy said, then take it for a bumpy drive to get a final height setting, make final adjustments and get it corner balanced/aligned.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the feedback guys

The thing is, I wasn't smart enough to measure the angle when I took it apart, because very thing would be replaced: different tb, bushings and lighter car.
That I realize now was stupid. Hence I need an initial setting.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

You don't really need an initial setting. Put the caps on the tbar that will give you maximum adjustment. Lower the car and measure. I am sure you can eyeball the first time if it is too high or too low. Jack the car back up, pull the end cap off and reindex the bar and try again. Always allow for maximum adjustment at the adjuster bolt. You'll figure out pretty quick where you want to be. You can then dial it in after you have driven it a bit and made final measurements. Keep in mind the two sides may not be exactly the same height when you're done as the corner balance may require some tuning. This is more true if you are measuring from the fender lip.
"Rules are for the interpretation of wise men and the obedience of fools." Colin Chapman, Founder, Lotus F1
Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

js,
I just did the same work as you on my '83 SC. as your car is now, most likely on jackstands and with a-arms at full droop, install adjusting levers as close to bottom of adjustment range as possible and then install adjusting screws with 3 or 4 threads showing above lever....hope this makes sense. You will have to lower car to ground (with tires on !) to compress and "set" suspension. It will most likely be too high and you'll have to remove screws and levers to re-index. It is easier than it sounds.
To me, this was a safer way of getting the suspension to settle, than trying to use a jack to push the a-arms up while car was on jackstands.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you all.

Once I get time in the garage, I'll give it a go and report back
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
never ending projects

Just in case you are still out in the garage I found a pic of something close that will give a slightly lowered ride height.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Oops

Well, I have been in the garage many times since.

Seriously, I got this done a long time ago, and it was as easy as the guys said.

Thanks for reminding me.

www.stauningwhisky.dk

Last edited by jsveb; 07-08-2014 at 08:21 PM..
Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: