Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
DME Relay Issues

I've looked around on this and other forums, but I havn't been able to find an issue quite like mine. Here's what's up:

I have a 1984 911 that I bought about 6 months ago. It's got 130 miles and some pretty hefty modifications including an after market turbo. I changed all the fluids, spark plugs, shifter bushings, filters, etc. I also adjusted the valves.

A few times, had trouble starting the car. It would crank, but not start until after several tries, it would come to life. Then, nothing.

I found several forums suggesting the DME relay. I resoldered mine but it still didn't work. I then decided to 'hot-wire' the relay by putting some bits of plastic to force solenoids on. The car immediately started. I took this to mean that the DME relay was bad.

I tried to install two other remanufactured relays, neither of which worked. I still have my hot-wired relay which I use to drive around. The only trick is that you have to unplug it whenever you are not driving to stop the fuel pump from running.

What is going on here? Is it the DME relay? Is it something else? HELP!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
1984 , dme , relay