Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
72' 911S

Send a message via Yahoo to leadrsa729
Another DME Relay Question

Hi All -

I posted this originally in the 964 specific forum, but figured I'd post here as well in order to reach a larger audience.

I have a problem in the wiring harness for the DME on a 93 964 RS America. For any of you who are very familiar with the wiring diagram for ignition - I need your help!

Pin 87 on the DME Relay is a Red wire with White stripe as it travels from the fuse box to terminal 15. The connecting pin (#3) at the terminal also has a Red with White stripe wire coming off of that, and it travels through the harness what looks like all the way back to the engine. Looking at the wiring diagram, the original 87 relay pin is supposed to connect to pin 37 on the plug to the DME under the front seat via a Brown with Grey stripe wire. In my harness there was some damage and this wire has been snipped.

My question is where on the car does the Red with White stripe wire connect to the Brown with Grey stripe wire? Is it in the engine bay near the ignition coils? It just seems odd to me that the connection from the relay would be at T15 which is under the front seat right next to the actual DME, but then run all the way back to the engine bay, just to make the connection there, and run all the way back through the wiring harness to the DME plug.

Any insight will be extremely helpful!! Thank you.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The other day I poked around in the Pelican Parts pages and found printable wiring diagrams in color for my 1973 911T. But I can't find them today! If you poke around in there I'm sure you'll find what you need. They are incredibly well detailed and color coded. And free!

Tom
Old 07-11-2014, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
72' 911S

Send a message via Yahoo to leadrsa729
Thanks! I actually have a wiring diagram from the workshop manual that's been helpful. I'm concerned with the physical location within the vehicle though on where this junction between Red/White and Brown/Grey actually happens.

When I look at the wires myself I see:
1. 87 pin from relay in front trunk fuse box (Red/White) TO:
2. Terminal 15 under front seat (Red/White) TO:
3. Leads through the wiring harness back into engine bay.

However, the Brown/Grey wire from the #37 pin on the DME plug is supposed to come from a junction somewhere in the car with this Red/White wire after Terminal 15. I just don't know where this junction is. I'm assuming it's in the engine bay somewhere near the ignition coils since that's where the wiring harness leads to.

Thanks again for any and all help!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz
The connection is inside made inside the DME harness. The large red/white wire running back into the engine bay through the DME harness powers the injectors, the coils, and all other electric valves once the 1st stage of the DME relay is turned on. Pin 37 of the DME also needs switched +12V to turn the DME on.

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 07-11-2014, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: