Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Heck I'm only 5 not 67!

Garage
O2 Sensor from Narrow to Wide Band

I would like to eventually get a wide band AFR meter setup for my car and use the narrow band output to control the lambda ECU.

Question will a wide band O2 sensor screw into the narrow band exhaust connection or do you have to drill another hole and weld on the correct bung connector?

Old 10-01-2014, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Should be standard size.

Todd
Old 10-01-2014, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Do a search. Should be standard size but I recall a thread on here recently where someone went to a wide band, tapped off it for the Lambda in manner that 'should have' worked and ended up with strange Lambda behavior.

If a risk, you may have to have a muffler shop put an additional bung on for the wide band and run both.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Heck I'm only 5 not 67!

Garage
I know that the wide band signal 0-5 volts is not compatible with the 0-1 volt for the narrow band input to the ECU. There are AFR gauges with a narrowband output that is converted from the wide band signal. As long as the narrowband output signal is calibrated from the wide band output the Lambda ECU should control the frequency valve as designed.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
I tried it with a PLX module using a standard Bosch wideband sensor. The K-Jetronic ECU does not seem to like the narrowband signal put out by the PLX. Jim Williams observed that the ECU has a very narrowly defined set of signals it is expecting. Anything other than what it expects seems to throw it off and cause poor running conditions. I've never gone so far as to compare the output of the stock O2 sensor and the narrowband output signal from the PLX with an oscilloscope but that is the only way to figure out if there are any differences.

For now my solution is to run two O2 sensors -- the stock narrowband setup and the wideband sensor connected to a gauge.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have the plx and it works great. Screwed in the wideband sensor into the stock location, and connected the simulated output to the original wiring. Absolutely no problems.

The plx saves a lot of work, as welding in another bung and running 2 oxygen sensors would be a pain.

You can tell the simulated oxygen sensor output works, because when its connected the afr is a rock steady 14.7. Disconnected, mine is set to run a bit rich.

Bo
Old 10-02-2014, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

never ending projects

I've been using Innovate wide bands for years on other cars and it's pretty easy to program the additional analog outlets with the included software. I'm just getting started with this but the next part would obviously be finding out the curve for the narrowband output and programming the LC-1 or LC-2 with that so my 1982 CIS can read it
Old 03-19-2017, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
i'm running the innovate LC-2, and i'm using the analog output nr. 2 to the lambda brain.
Standard configuration of this analog output is narrowband simulation, so basically plug and play, but you can alter this if you like.
The lambda brain accepts the input just fine.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
The wide and narrow band thread size is all the same. You just need to match the output voltage curve to mirror a stock narrowband which is a matter of adjusting the switch on the wideband controller. Anyone ever check the voltage curve is correct for the common wideband controllers (aem, innovate, plx)? I recall the factory troubleshooting books for Motronic and Jetronic cars had this info.. maybe even the Bentley book.

Shameless plug; I have a M&K euro premuffler with two bungs installed for sale .

Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 03-21-2017, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: