Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Trying to get an old '78 up and running (help! :-)

Guys, I'm hoping to find a couple guys who are tired of the typical 'easy' 911 technical questions ;-) I've got a '78 911SC that I just bought. It was sent into a shop for a paint job and some mechanical work (I believe). Here's what I think I know about the car. You know, what I've been told by the PO.

~3 yrs ago sent in for paint and a clutch.
- Windows and complete interior removed and car was painted (black :-)
- Clutch was supposedly done
- PO could never get the shop to finish the car and after more than a year, it seems he demanded he get the car back finished or, unfinished :-/
- Apparently, the shop literally cobbled the car back together so that it could leave (lots of items were not connected in and around the engine bay and on the drivetrain).
- PO took the car to an empty garage till he could get around to finding a shop to put it together.
- It sat for another year, with life getting in the way, he ended up needing some money and the old SC seemed like a fairly 'liquid' asset ;-) So, he put it up for sale and I grabbed it up at what these days is considered a reasonable price. Now, it all comes down to how accurate the PO's info is and, how much time / trouble and money it takes to get it up and running.

Soooo, What I'd like to be able to do is post my questions as I come up with them, in this on going thread and try to harvest a bit of the vast knowledge that's hanging around the wonderful site!

What do you say, wanna come along for the ride? I sure could use your help!

Thanks,
Chris

Old 03-14-2016, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
First issue I would love input on is my rusty (inside) gas tank! I'm wondering whether it makes sense to 1) have it cleaned and coated 2) can I clean and coat it myself? or 3) just replace it with a new tank? I've looked at the cost in the past but I don't remember what the cost was.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
One of the things that's baffling me is where to attach a rectangular electronic connection. It's the same connector type that attaches to the Warm Up Regulator (WUR). I haven't been able to find the connection. Help! :-)
Old 03-14-2016, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

This looks like a project for someone that is very Porsche inclined.

The tank does need to be perfect for cleanliness.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 03-14-2016, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Rod, Ya, I'm Porsche-crazy enough. I wish I had another 3.0SC sitting here to compare / contrast. I did own a 3.0 SC until ~6mths ago. Now I have an SC with a big 'ol 3.6 from a 993 so, I've lost much of my 'cheat sheet' so to speak. ;-)
Old 03-14-2016, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
1978 911sc , 911sc , 911sc rebuild , 911sc refurbish