Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Suggestions for Removing Sensor Bracket Mounting Bolts

For the speed and reference sensors there is a bracket holding the two brackets on and I want to reset my gap as I believe my gap is off.

I have been trying for an hour trying to figure out how to remove the two bolts holding the bracket on. To be clear I am not talking about the bolts to the sensors themselves. Only the two bolts holding the sensor bracket. It seems there is no clearance for a socket to put on the bolts. For those who have removed this bracket can you provide me some suggestions on what to use, even suggesting what size socket to use for the two bolts. I am having a mother trying to get that bracket off.

I really appreciate this. I know some will ask why do I want to remove the bracket? I am going to make sure that gap for the speed sensor is correct when I replace the sensor because I want to make sure I address every possibility in dealing with this no start issue.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

1/4" drive 10mm wobbly socket w/extension for the hard to get one. Regular 10mm socket w/extension for the other. Best to try to get the lower sensor out first and glue a 0.8mm washer to it, loosen bracket bolts just enough to adjust the clearance, and tighten the bracket. If you can't get iot out, then the bracket comes off.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john walker's workshop View Post
1/4" drive 10mm wobbly socket w/extension for the hard to get one. Regular 10mm socket w/extension for the other. Best to try to get the lower sensor out first and glue a 0.8mm washer to it, loosen bracket bolts just enough to adjust the clearance, and tighten the bracket. If you can't get iot out, then the bracket comes off.
John:

Thanks for the reply. I got the sensors out.

I need the bracket removed. Are you telling me to use the 10mm socket on the bracket bolts. I hope so because that is giving me the problem.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

10mm socket on bracket bolts. The top one is harder to get to, so a wobbly socket will help. Not everyone has a decent 1/4" drive set, but I use them more than the larger ones on most repairs.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Heh John:

Thanks so much for your help. Thanks to your suggestion for a 10mm and use of the 1/4 ratchet set I was finally able to get the bracket off and properly set my proper sensor gap.

Again, John thanks so much for your guidance. That was truly a bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by john walker's workshop View Post
10mm socket on bracket bolts. The top one is harder to get to, so a wobbly socket will help. Not everyone has a decent 1/4" drive set, but I use them more than the larger ones on most repairs.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: