Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Differences in body shell 911 T,E,S 69-73?

Hello,

are there any differences in the LWB body shells 911 69-73?
I found a body shell without VIN, seller says it is a S...

Regards
mezger

Old 03-09-2017, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezger View Post
Hello,

are there any differences in the LWB body shells 911 69-73?
I found a body shell without VIN, seller says it is a S...

Regards
mezger
The only difference in the shell--meaning the sheet metal stampings--will be the VIN, AFIK. S had different trim along the rockers and bumpers, different gauges, brakes, and some suspension components, but the basic body panels and fenders were the same as other models. As mentioned, this is only from my experience which does not include any deep investigation into S cars, so a true expert may offer something that will identify a shell as an S that is part of the unalterable construction.

IMO, a shell without a VIN is always suspect. If the one you are looking at has no VIN, claiming it is an S should not influence the price as 1) there will never be a way to verify it's authenticity or true identity, 2) restoring it to an S will always be subject to doubt, 3) getting a new, legal VIN, will not restore the value from a factory S VIN, and 4) building it into a track car is not dependent on the shell being from any particular model.
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip
Old 03-09-2017, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm not an expert on this but I do believe the rear shock towers are different (larger) on the 72-73 chassis. When using later aluminum trailing arms on a 69-71 911, a Bilstein style shock will bind/rub on the chassis do to the geometry of the shock angle. A more slender shock like a Koni Classic can solve this issue if you insist on using AL trailing arms. This is not an issue on a 72-73 chassis.

1973 911t 'RS'
1970 Datsun 510 (vintage racer)
Old 03-09-2017, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edesign45 View Post
I'm not an expert on this but I do believe the rear shock towers are different (larger) on the 72-73 chassis. When using later aluminum trailing arms on a 69-71 911, a Bilstein style shock will bind/rub on the chassis do to the geometry of the shock angle. A more slender shock like a Koni Classic can solve this issue if you insist on using AL trailing arms. This is not an issue on a 72-73 chassis.
This is a good point^^.

When I read the OP, I immediately thought he was concerned about differences between an "S" shell and any other model. However, rereading the post, that is not entirely clear. Subtle differences between shells during the production years of 69-73 may be what he is after.
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip
Old 03-09-2017, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Also, '69 had the harnesses plugged into a welded tab/bulkhead between the upper rear shock mounts.
I *think* the early LWB cars had a different cutout for the oil tank filler/filter. Can't recall what year(s).

Did you check for the number stamped in the dash by the ash tray?
Not sure if it's an option but taking the dash pad off should (hopefully still) reveals the VIN in grease pencil above the gauges.

Tim K
Old 03-09-2017, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
1972 had the oil fill on the right side, just behind the passenger door.

Bob
Old 03-09-2017, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

'72 has the oil filler door behind the passenger door, but that's the same across all trim lines. If it doesn't come with a matching numbers engine/transmission I'm not sure how you could justify any price premium for it being an S tub.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Didn't the 911 T's coming out of Karmann have thinner roof and floor panel steel?

At least for the 70's?

I've read that some of these 911T's were then used by Werks for the factory 911 ST's with other parts, ie fenders, doors, etc.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossiblue View Post
This is a good point^^.

When I read the OP, I immediately thought he was concerned about differences between an "S" shell and any other model. However, rereading the post, that is not entirely clear. Subtle differences between shells during the production years of 69-73 may be what he is after.
you're right. I asked for the differences between the models T,E,S

I know that there are differences between the years and 69 is special in the rear shock tower area.

regards
mezger

Old 03-10-2017, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: