Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuel lines - OEM or...

So I've been working on getting my dad's old 911 back on the road and one of the issues I've found is the fuel lines need to be replaced. After lots of searching it seems like everyone uses either Len's lines or the OEM fuel lines. What's the advantage to these over going to the parts store and buying a length of generic fuel line? Seems like that route would save me a few hundred...Any help is appreciated.

CM
Old 07-17-2017, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

BTW, I'm not a purist who NEEDS all the parts to say "Porsche"...I'm building a driver, not a concourse car...
Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What year is the 911? Original engine?
Old 07-17-2017, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yep, original engine, it's a 79
Old 07-17-2017, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You can not just cut up some fuel line from the auto parts store and use hose clamps to connect to the fittings. The fuel lines are under high pressure and eventually they will fail. The hose to fitting connection needs to be a crimped fitting. The factory replacement rubber hoses are not necessarily compatible with ethanol. That is the reason I went with lines made by Len, as they are ethanol compatible. Plus it is easier to replace the tunnel line sections with Len's because you can pull the new line in while pulling out the old line. The factory polyamide tunnel lines have a 90* bend at the front where the it transitions to rubber hose. Len's tunnel line are straight with fittings at both ends. Len's front rubber hoses have a 90* metal fitting that connects to the front end of the tunnel line. If the factory tunnel line is used, you must connect a draw string/wire to the aft end, it gets pulled through the tunnel as the old line is pulled from the front, and then the new factory line is connected to the pull line and is pulled through the tunnel from the rear, hopefully not getting hung in to many places.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What kind of pressure is the fuel run at? I'm using parts store fuel lines on my 75 Bronco w/EFI that are holding up fine at 40psi.

Couldn't I just get hose ends made at a hydraulic shop w/barbed ends to connect to using the "fancy" high pressure clamps?

1979 Porsche 911 SC
Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Anytime you are dealing with pressurized fuel that runs next to extremely high temperature components, it's a good idea to not skimp on the price. I have a complete set of Len's lines in my car. They are gorgeous in that they are so well made.

There is a thread someplace here where a guy had a fuel line burst and the only thing left of his car was a sparkly square on the road where his sideview mirror melted into the pavement.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Where all are the fuel lines running?

CM

1979 Porsche 911 SC
Old 07-17-2017, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

They run up to the fuel filter/accumulator and then over to the fuel distributor on a CIS engine. The lines that seem to always rupture are down at the fuel pump, which is not ideal, but manageable, and the ones that run up to the fuel filter/accumulator. Those are the ones that cause fires.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
CIS fuel line DIY'er.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigepKat View Post
What kind of pressure is the fuel run at? I'm using parts store fuel lines on my 75 Bronco w/EFI that are holding up fine at 40psi.

Couldn't I just get hose ends made at a hydraulic shop w/barbed ends to connect to using the "fancy" high pressure clamps?

SigeKat,

If you have the experience and expertise to build CIS fuel lines go ahead do it as a project. Unfortunately, you seem to know very little with the system and not a good idea to play around with these fuel lines. Your system fuel pressure is anout 70 psi. +|- 5 psi. and your FP is capable of delivering 100 psi. This is not like the carburator system where you could just use micro clamps.

What is wrong with the current fuel lines? It is prudent to replace these old fuel lines with new ones that are built well and done right. If the old fuel lines are not leaking and still in good working condition, I would leave them for the moment until you are able to replace them with the properly built fuel lines.

Tony
Old 07-17-2017, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Are these the correct part #s for the OEM lines? Am I missing anything?

911-356-062-08-oem
911-356-066-08-oem
911-356-202-03-oem

1979 Porsche 911 SC
Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Conact Len on here. Search the threads. His name on here is BoxsterGT. He can make them
Old 07-17-2017, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

One of the issues with OEM lines is that they were built, sealed in a bag, and have been sitting on a shelf for decades.

Buy new lines from Len. Not only are they extremely well built, there are some short comings in the OEM design that he has improved upon.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Old fuel lines need replaced due to age and the fact that they are not compatible with ethanol in our fuels today. Ethanol will dry rot the rubber leading to cracking. If you can find non-ethanol enhanced fuels then you are OK. There are threads on here where people are replacing braided fuel lines on older carb/MFI 911 with new braided fuel lines from Germany that are not compatible with ethanol because they want to maintain period correctness only to find out it fails in a year or two's time and has to be replaced again. Currently no one makes a ethanol compatible braided fuel hose for old Porsches and VW's.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: