Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine Stand Adapter Ring for Porsche and VW air-cooled engines by SIR Tools

Part #: PEL-TOL-MCDENG

Since I didn't find much info regarding how to use the engine stand adapter, I wanted to post here and show how I did it with my 1978 SC 3.0 engine. This is not recommended by anyone except me.

First, you only get one. The picture and description says"ring", implying that it goes all the way around. But then after carefully looking at the few pictures posted in the review section along with the part, it becomes clear that this is a single half circle purchase. I called the parts department and confirmed yes, it's just one.

Here's how I did it.

I wanted to mount the engine with the exhaust attached. It wants to mount to the engine with the bevel side toward the engine, and the flat side out toward your stand.
I slid it onto the transaxle studs and sharpie marked where it needed to be ground down a bit.

After grinding some clearance, it slid right onto the stud.

So, using the adapter in this fashion, has it secured to the engine case, and leaves 4 threaded holes to mount your engine stand on to.

But I'm thinking that this is a heavy engine, and to have all its weight hanging off only two bolts sounded a bit scary to me. I'm sure it works, but I went the over-kill system. I chose to buy another mount, I wanted to use two together.

The second one was not as simple of a grinding project. As mentioned earlier I wanted to leave the exhaust attached for now, so I needed to cut and grind the second mount quite a bit more than the first one.

I made a cardboard template and marked where I needed to cut, then transferred the cut marks to the mounting piece.

I'm sure there may be a more elegant way to re-shape this piece, like with a bandsaw but anyway the HF angle grinder worked for me.

But then, the mounting bolt holes did not line up. I had about the thickness of one bolt that needed to be removed from where the two halves meet at the top.

So I cut a little bit off each piece until I had enough clearance to slide them both on.

Instead of using the transaxle studs to mount the stand, I elected to take them out and use bolts. The studs came right out super easily with vise-grips, just back them out. The one long one is for the starter, the other three are the same. Of course, the threaded holes in the engine case are Metric. I used M10 x 1.5 X 55mm bolts with washers. It looks super secure now.

Now that my adapters are secured to the case using all four mounting points, I can attach my HF engine stand piece onto the adapters.

The threaded holes in the SIR adapter are SAE. American. Not Metric.
I used the very same bolts that I had previously used to hold my small block Chevy engine. (4) 3/8 X 16 X 3" with washers.

I'll post again when I get it off the cart and onto the stand.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Thank you very much for your detailed write-up! I'm sure that our members will find this useful if using the tool. We're always looking for new content for our members/customers - take a look at the link below if you'd like to submit this to be published on site. If we publish it, we'll give you a credit and 10% off your next order. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Enthusiast Tech Article Submissions - Pelican Parts
Old 11-07-2017, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: