Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

CIS Revisited

Following up on my earlier post relative CIS troubles, I have made some progress.
I borrowed a working fuel dist., (FD) and also a WUR. Both were installed in my vehicle, vehicle was tuned and ran great. Had 4.7 bar system pressure and warm control pressure at 3.6 bar. Car drove well, started well, cold or warm...
In the interim, testing had shown both my WUR and FD were not operating correctly so I sent them out to be rebuilt. They returned and were finished in the most professional manner. I installed them this morning and fired the car up, 5.7 bar on the system pressure and 3.9 bar on the control pressure, with a 1.4mm shim washer. So I proceeded to diminish the thickness of shims until I had no washer shim. This was slowly done over the course of 5 tests. The final test with no washer shim, produced a system pressure of 5.15 bar and a control pressure of 3.8 bar. At this point I put in a new fuel regulator, Bosch, with no washer shim and the system pressure dropped to 5.0 bar and control pressure to 3.8 bar.
So how do lower the pressure further? I am shooting for a system pressure of 4.7 bar in which the car with the borrowed WUR and FD ran superb. Does someone make a outer spring that is shorter or less tension.
Really drawing blanks here.
Any help most appreciated.
Jeff
1979 124 Spider
1978 124 Spider
Old 11-29-2017, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ah you need to hear from Tony (Boyt911sc) from way downstate in Norristown.
Maybe you could PM him if he doesn't see this.
Can you provide a link to your previous post on this?

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 11-29-2017, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
CIS troubleshooting.........

Jeff,

Why do you have to do all this testing when you had your WUR and FD recently rebuilt? When they are rebuilt, it should be calibrated too. Is your car a US or RoW spec? What are the FD and WUR Bosch numbers? Your WUR and FD were rebuilt and they should look nice and clean. And most important tested and calibrated. Yours were off spec. and you had to make them work? Who rebuilt them? Did you contact the rebuilder about your problem/s? Keep us posted.

Tony

Last edited by boyt911sc; 12-01-2017 at 06:07 PM..
Old 11-29-2017, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The car is a stock, USa model with a CAT bypass.
The number on the WUR end in 090 and the FD number is 0438100077
Have reached out to the rebuilder.
Here is a pic prior to install of the rebuilt FD and WUR.

Thank you all for you help.
Jeff
1979 124 Spider
1978 124 Spider
Old 11-30-2017, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I am also curious who did it. not because they may not have done it right but if there is someone besides larry doing them I would like to know who.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 11-30-2017, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
FD & WUR rebuilders.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post
I am also curious who did it. not because they may not have done it right but if there is someone besides larry doing them I would like to know who.

Ty,

You know him and he is an active member of this forum. I doubt he would acknowledge his involvement with Jeff’s FD and WUR publicly. Let’s give him the opportunity and the chance to air his side. He claimed to be a newly authorized Bosch FD & WUR rebuilder.

The information I got was a private message (PM) and will keep it that way. BTW, there are several outfits rebuilding Bosch FD & WUR aside from Larry, one in particular is in TX.

Jeff,

If your rebuilder would not fix the problem/s, send them to me and I will calibrate them for FREE. Consider this a X’mas gift from this forum. Keep us posted.

Tony
Old 12-01-2017, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
A favor to ask.......

Jeff,

Could you measure the heater resistance (Ohms) of the WUR at room temp. (70°F) and at 80°F and post these numbers? Thanks.

Tony
Old 12-01-2017, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Tony, the WUR values are as follows:

70 degrees, 25 ohms
80 degrees, 10 ohms

from 70 degrees, I slowly heated the WUR with hot air, when it stabilized around 80 degrees I then checked for the value. Maybe not to scientific...

Thank you, Jeff
1979 124 Spider
1978 124 Spider
Old 12-01-2017, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Any response from the rebuilder?

Jeff,

Any luck getting a response from your rebuilder? You spent a good amount of your hard earned money and should have received a properly rebuilt WUR and FD. Give him a call and send emails until you get his attention. Try your best to contact him and if you are not getting any response, time to send them to me. I will calibrate them and send them back to you.

BTW, why don’t you give him another chance and wait for 48 hours. If nothing happens good after waiting for 2 days then time to move on.

Tony
Old 12-04-2017, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

by any chance did you check your return line to make sure it is clear?
I was able to blow thru mine on my 930. full tank could make that harder

just curious if there is another rebuilder. I would be extremely shocked if larry did a bad rebuild.
it just seems odd that it would come back with hi pressure.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Read post #1........

Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post
by any chance did you check your return line to make sure it is clear?
I was able to blow thru mine on my 930. full tank could make that harder

just curious if there is another rebuilder. I would be extremely shocked if larry did a bad rebuild.
it just seems odd that it would come back with hi pressure.

Ty,

The OP was able to drive the car using borrowed FD and WUR. If the return line was clogged, no FD and WUR could make it run good. There was no problem with the fuel lines system. If you are really interested in knowing the rebuilder’s name, ask Jeff.

Tony
Old 12-05-2017, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

sorry, cant always keep all the details straight of every thread.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Rebuilt FD and WUR.........incorrectly calibrated.

Jeff,

Were you able to get the car running already? It has been a month since you had the problems with your newly rebuilt FD and WUR. Hope the rebuilder apologized to you for the inconvenience. Thanks.

Tony
Old 01-03-2018, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Hope you get them back before spring........

Jeff,

Sorry to hear that your FD/WUR rebuilder has not returned them back to you. He has been in this forum posting and yet did not bother to chime in and acknowledge his responsibility. The least your rebuilder could do to you as a customer is to replace the badly calibrated FD/WUR with a new set or have them fixed promptly. You paid premium prices for his services and should expect a good one.

It is unfortunate that you are hesitant to mention his name and by doing this, you are NOT helping other members from getting into similar predicaments. I am sure you are not alone and there could be more people in same situation. Good luck.

Tony
Old 01-06-2018, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Rebuilder’s responsibility.............

Jeff,

I appreciate you contacting me regarding your problem with your fuel distributor. Your FD-077 is out of calibration as you have found out. What I don’t understand is why are you doing all these repairs? You paid premium prices for the rebuild of your WUR and FD and should not be doing any of this fixing to make them work.

It is already springtime 2018 and these CIS components were rebuilt in November 2017. So what is the excuse of the “rebuilder” this time? Why would a CIS parts rebuilder sent out rebuilt parts that are not correctly calibrated? Not once but twice? Simply because the rebuilder does not care about the customer’s need. He got paid and sent you the rebuilt parts. End of story.

BTW, both your WUR and FD are out of calibration. You could help other people getting into similar predicament by simply identifying the rebuilder’s initials like AA or BB, etc. Wish you luck.

Tony
Old 03-26-2018, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Newly rebuilt FD & WUR.........

Jeff,

I am done with the tests and recalibration of your newly rebuilt FD & WUR and sending them back to you. There is another thing you have to work with your rebuilder, the 6 micro filters were missing. See pictures below:

Your WUR-090 came to me with only 10 Ohms at room temp. and should NOT be given back to customer at this condition. Recalibrated it to spec. 26 Ohms @ 68°F. Picture below was taken @ 62°F after midnight (cooler basement temp.)

Your FD is on the left with red paint. Mine is at the right of the picture. If you look closely the filters in your FD are missing. Both WUR and FD recalibrated.

I will be away traveling abroad by the time you get the FD and WUR and won’t be back till end of May. But would be able to communicate with you via email. Request your mechanic to measure the cold, warm, system, and residual fuel pressures and write them down.

Tony

Last edited by boyt911sc; 05-02-2018 at 05:21 PM..
Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Share your findings.........

Jeff,

As much as I like to help you, please share your findings and experience so others would have the benefit of learning and knowing what to do next time they encounter similar problem/s. While I had access to my emails, Pelican Parts forum is not accessible in Mainland China and was only able to visit this forum when we got in Hong Kong. In a few days, we will be back to LA and finally fly back home.

Your CIS problems were minor and easy to test but the lack of experience on your part made it more difficult but we finally sorted it out. If you will share with others how you got the engine to run and identify the culprit/s will help others in the future. We all make mistakes and I made a lot of stupid maistakes too. So you are not alone.

You did all the work and all I did was to guide you thru the procedures. Good job.

Tony
Old 05-25-2018, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

Tony is the master when it comes to cis and rebuilding the system. He’s done at least 6-8, maybe more, wur & fd’s for us. Perfect every time.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Tony, any plans for a CIS component rebuilding class? I know these things take much time and energy, but I'd drive down from CT for that. Best regards, John
Old 05-27-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Tony I am curious how you "recalibrate " a wur. Is the heating element not a fixed resistance ?
if its a trade secret I understand. I am really curious now though. I have a spare wur in a box so I'm going to check the resistance and temp as you did.
2014 Nissan Murano (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 05-29-2018, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: