Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Whats the best way to clean the backside of fuchs wheels?

Lots of grime and corrosion I'd like to clean up and then put some type of clear sealant on them. Any suggestions for quick cleaning and sealing? thanks
Old 01-12-2018, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I've tried this method and the results are a direct relation of the labor put into the procedure. First, I jack up one end or one side of the car, put Jack Stands in place (always) and remove the 2 wheels in the air. Then it becomes a matter of elbow grease and time as you clean one side then the other. I have tried a variety of potions to break loose the of bit of asphalt, tar, etc. (I hear WD-40 is a excellent cleaner) that seems to find its way on the ID of the wheels and the inside of the sidewalls. After I get it clean, I use one of the paint products degreaser - I have used PPG Paint products and they work well. Once they are clean, use the desired finish as glossy, dull, etc., - I end up using the natural finish and once ultra clean, free of contaminants and cleaners, I wipe it with the degreaser again just to be sure before I wash it with soap and water. I then spray it with a clear coat from a rattle can. I usually don't go to the trouble of getting my compressor ready and loading a spray gun but it's certainly an option. If you have a compressor it's probably worh the expense to invest in a inexpensive Pain Gun for jobs like this. It's good practice if you ever want to paint a whole car. BTW, did I mention Cleanliness is critical? Nothing can affect a cars paint finish more than moisture in the air or on the car when trying to paint it! Dirt comes in a close 2nd.
After that, I suggest waiting for 45-60 days to make sure the paint is dry then put a coat of wax on for protection. With a coat of wax, at least they'll be easy to clean if you ever have to clean them again.

Good Luck!

Last edited by l_turn9; 01-12-2018 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-12-2018, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

In my experience there is no quick way. Easiest way is to remove wheels, wash and then wax. I use a Meguiars Cleaner wax and then follow up with an inexpensive wax of some sort.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

remove wheels
get the mcguires CHROME wheel cleaner.

I say this with caution. they WILL ruin the wheels if left on too long or it dries.
then pressure wash.
one of the small "firemans" nozzles from home depot works pretty well to.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 01-12-2018, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There must be some mechanical way to clean these up quickly. I'll try the chrome wheel cleaner and powerwash then if that doesn't work I'll hit them with some scotch brite drill attachment.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
If you go to an automotive paint supply store they sell Scotch cleaning pads. They look like the rust and grey sanding pads but are white and leave no scratches.
Buy the whole box for $25 because you will start using them on every stubborn stain.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Simple Green and a Toothbrush.
1987 944 Manual (Donated to the Nat. Kidney Foundation)
1987 944 Automatic (Recently sold to another Pelican)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
In my experience, the Sonax Wheel Cleaner has been the best solution I've come across yet. I had some dirty wheels and this thing got them looking brand new.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/CARE/POR_CARE_CARWHL_pg1.htm
Old 01-12-2018, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: