Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
dashboard issues SC - need replacing

My 1980 SC dashboard is warped beyond repair it seems. I got my hands on a nice later Carrerra dash but struggle to see how I can fit it to my car. Obviously the center AC vent is not the same but worse with the defrost vents where the Carrerra have one long grille between dash and windscreen. This grille can not be fitted to the SC without some cutting and grinding. Specifically the slots in the SC tub don't match with the Carrerra grille

Replacement SC dashes are stupid expensive and I believe fitting a cover may not be easy with the badly warped dash I have

What to do ? Will I have to just bite the bullet and pull the card for a new 1600 dollar dash ?

Any advice will be welcomed
Old 02-08-2018, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to RocketWrench
Quote:
Originally Posted by trond View Post
My 1980 SC dashboard is warped beyond repair it seems. I got my hands on a nice later Carrerra dash but struggle to see how I can fit it to my car. Obviously the center AC vent is not the same but worse with the defrost vents where the Carrerra have one long grille between dash and windscreen. This grille can not be fitted to the SC without some cutting and grinding. Specifically the slots in the SC tub don't match with the Carrerra grille

Replacement SC dashes are stupid expensive and I believe fitting a cover may not be easy with the badly warped dash I have

What to do ? Will I have to just bite the bullet and pull the card for a new 1600 dollar dash ?

Any advice will be welcomed
How bad is it? Mine was severely warped and my guys at Awesome trim rebuilt it and splited the back, then recovered it. Do you have any photos?

Here they are, and even if you ship it to the UK for repair, it would probably still be cheaper than replacing it:

https://www.awesome.eu.com/auto-interiors
Old 02-08-2018, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
I would sell the Carrera dash. Use that money to fund the proper dash.

There are other options. There are some DIY dash fixes with good results on here. There are also Dash Caps. Which are an ABS molded cover that goes over and sort of looks like the original dash from a few feet away.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 02-08-2018, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Dash caps look as cheap as they cost. I just threw mine in the trash.

Call Bob @ Classic 9 and send him pics of your dash. He’ll tell you if he can work with it or not.

Todd
Old 02-08-2018, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
There are a couple of threads where guys rebuilt and recovered their dashes. It can be done with great results.

Take a look here starting at post #562 my take on 911r / R Gruppe lightweight hot rod

Jim did some magic on this one.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Old 02-08-2018, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: