Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
no start help

1982 911 sc

Brain trust diagnosis help needed. I had issues with my bosch starter sticking, so I forked out a few extra $ and purchased a new hi torque starter and replaced. I made sure I clocked it so it would fit between the trans and heater hose. All in all everything went well without any hitches. One week later… no start and no clicks. I feel check the relay under seat, dome lights, and battery terminals. All are in order. So I roll it slightly (simulated bump start to disengage anything) in case I have a bad starter. I pause and turn the key. Voila! It turned over and off I went.

Since then I’ve had intermittent starts hot and cold, so I check anything and everything in search.
Ground straps-cleaned
Connections-checked
Battery- charged
Dome lights-working
Fuses-ok
Ignition switch –not tested yet

When this happens, I can hear/feel a faint high frequencing buzzing as I turn and hold key. It seems like starter is receiving its juice.

On a side note (happened twice), when I jack up my vehicle from the engine block to place jack stands. The starter will turn over. My plan was to tap the starter with a mallet then try and start. But I can’t even do that test. I want to be 100% certain I have a defective starter before I exchange. Am I missing something here?

Thank you in advance!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
hi let me ask you ..what relay under the seat?

Ivan
Old 02-13-2018, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Starter.......

The STARTER will turn only @ START position of the ignition switch. There is no related relay under the seat for the starter system. Test the yellow wires for voltage at the starter when you turned the ignition switch to START.

Attach a test light at the yellow wire terminal/s and turn the ignition switch to START. The TL should be lit. If not, you might have a poor ground contact. Use a TL to test your ground system too.

Tony
Old 02-13-2018, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
do you have some kind of kill switch connected to your relay under your seat?
Ivan
Old 02-13-2018, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry guys, I compiled another issue i'm having with the o2 sensor relay under the seat. There's no kill switch. I will test voltage on yellow wire and ground attached to trans as per boyt911sc suggests tomorrow am.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2018, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: