Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

SC RoW Backdate / Hot Rod Project

Yeah... Another one! I'm sure everyone is tired of seeing them, but I'm about to tackle my own 3.6 RS Styled backdate. I was born near Stuttgart and grew up watching Porsche's roll out of the factory and had the goal of owning one since. I've never been a purist, so I won't be extremely concerned about my car being 100% accurate. My current daily driver is an LS6 swapped E36 if that tells you anything. My goal is a light(er) weight 911 with 260+ HP that is built for back road driving with some autocross and a few track days a year thrown in.

The P/O has owned the car since the 80's and had the car imported from Germany after he returned from deployment. During his ownership, he only put 50k miles on the car but it was.I purchased the car in April 2017 in "ran when parked" condition. He did have the oil changed yearly and the car state inspected, which meant it should be ready to start and drive or at least very close to it. I spent 2 full days with a power washer just getting the moss, dirt, and debris. I threw a new battery in and found the ignition switch to be faulty. I ordered Bilstein club sport struts , sway-away torsion bars, re71's all the way around, factory short shifter, Racetech rt1000 seats and hit the road. After driving it for about a month, I signed up for a track day. I figured I'd do a Valve adjustment on the car and hit the track. Upon removing the valve covers, I found 6 or 7 broken head studs and decided the car was ready for at least a re-seal. One thing led to another and I ended up splitting the case and doing a rebuild. Everything was in GREAT condition as I expected based on the mileage and the previous owner.

After the rebuild, I drove the car for a few months including a trip to the Dragon in Tennesse and it was a BLAST. The car was quick, but after 5k miles or so, I decided the car lacked something and I was starting to get the itch to build another car (90% percent of the fun.) That brings us to where we are today. I pulled the 3.0 near the end of 2017 and sold it to Sean (911sauCy) on here, who has a lighter 78 Targa. We had leak down test done, compression test, and I tossed it on the dyno. It made 186 hp and 188 tq on a NASA certified Dynojet Dyno. At that point, I started to doubt selling the motor. Is it worth it? 15k-20k+ for about 70 hp? Do I need it? Well, the honest answer was no. I don't NEED it, but sometimes we all do things we don't need.

So the search began and I located a 3.6. I sent a deposit and should be getting the motor within the next month. The plan for the motor is a full teardown/rebuild. The bottom end will stay stock. The heads have already been machined to accept a head gasket and will be held down with Supertec head studs. The only other thing set in stone is EVMS stand alone. This is the part where I need some help, what is the best way to make more power? I originally planned on doing the DC21 cam with springs/retainers from Dougherty Racing and a tune. I considered upgrading the valves to the RS size but that seems to have slim gains and is better for the 3.8. PMO's aren't out of the question, but I don't have to do those "while I'm in there." I'll keep reading on the subject, but I would really love a 100hp jump from the 3.0 without selling my house to fund it. The goal is 280, but I will be satisfied with 260 at the wheels.

The 915 transmission will be getting a rebuild that includes; all new synchros, dog teeth, and slider sleeves. Aftermarket parts will consist of a single piece bearing retainer, stronger side covers with turbo bearings, and a KAAZ LSD (no need for Guard, can use the money elsewhere.)

Interior will be a basic black "RS Style" carpet and door cards and I'll have the dash rebuilt. It will also get a functional roll bar/harness bar that will be fabricated by a local shop with 6 point harnesses.

Everything will be done in-house by me and one of my technicians except for paint prep/paint and the roll cage.

Suspension - I haven't fully decided on yet. I will keep the setup I have for the time being and work from there. Will probably need a bigger brake but I will try some better pads and see how effective they are.

Wheels - I will be stepping the RS' up to at least 17" and running appropriate tires for the power levels.

The goal is to have it more or less complete by my birthday next July. I would love to get the 3.6 running and driving before the end of the year this year while I source all the body parts.

Here is a link to my original E36 build to hold you over before the progress begins here.

yahh's LS Swap

Here are some photos from the purchase all the way to its current state.

* Dyno picture is a Video
Old 04-20-2018, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Subscribed, if you haven’t already, check out the Rattler next time you’re down in NC.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockdown View Post
Subscribed, if you havenít already, check out the Rattler next time youíre down in NC.
I hadn't heard of that when we did it. Seems like it would be a fun road to shake it down on. The back of the dragon in Tazewell was also very fun; however, it can get a little sketchy!
Old 04-21-2018, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Winter time is approaching which means build time is coming! I haven't had many updates but the motor has arrived! It was delivered sometime mid-June and sat in the crate for a few months. I opened it up and started going through everything I have last month. During that time, I actually discovered that it isn't a 964 3.6 but instead it's from a 95 993 with 964 accessories! I put up a WTB thread looking for a VarioRam setup and finally located and purchased an entire setup yesterday. The final setup is looking like it will be a fully rebuilt 3.6 (stock spec using OE parts) with a DC21 Cam/Adjustable rocker arms/ Spring set from John over at Dougherty and VRam powered by VEMS. I still haven't decided if I'm going to source 993 H/E or if I'm going to run headers, but it will be mated to an M&k Exhaust.

Let me know if anyone needs 964 parts. Entire exhaust and top end (manifold etc) will be for sale/are for sale.

Now time to break the motor down and get it over to the machine shop.

3.6 Engine by yahh-, on Flickr
Old 09-28-2018, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Curious why you would not go with itb's and ecu?
Old 09-28-2018, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterair View Post
Curious why you would not go with itb's and ecu?
What are the benefits?
Old 09-29-2018, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

VRam by yahh-, on Flickr

VarioRam setup came in on Tuesday. The motor will be going on the stand this month to get everything apart and out to the machine shop and see what needs to be ordered. The goal is to have the car road worthy by June 1st 2019. That's just going to be the rebuilt 3.6 and refreshed/upgraded transmission. The car is still going to look rough, but it should drive well and honestly that's all I care about. The RS backdate is at least a year out if not a bit longer.

Last edited by yahh; 10-04-2018 at 06:32 AM..
Old 10-04-2018, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahh View Post
The goal is to have the car road worthy by June 1st 2019. That's just going to be the rebuilt 3.6 and refreshed/upgraded transmission. The car is still going to look rough, but it should drive well and honestly that's all I care about. The RS backdate is at least a year out if not a bit longer.
You should reconsider doing a backdate on that car. It has a very cool look as-is. I do believe your approach (mechanicals first) is wise. You'll get enjoyment out of driving the car without having to worry about chips and scratches in the paint!

Edit: Make sure you go through the whole varioram system to make sure it's functioning properly.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
You know what they say about opinions... Gonna share it anyway. I agree with Kaefer. I wouldn't go backdating that car either. Looks great as it is.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It is a good looking car, and sounds like it will scoot nicely when you finish the engine. I'd only suggest you reconsider the 17" wheel choice. IMO, they look oversized on these cars. There are plenty of tire choices in 16", and they seem to have a more balanced look. I think this is particularly true of long hood or backdated cars. Out here in SoCal, 15" and 16" wheels are the normal choice among most hot rodded or sporting cars. Just something to consider.
Previously owned several 911 models since 1975.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 23 View Post
It is a good looking car, and sounds like it will scoot nicely when you finish the engine. I'd only suggest you reconsider the 17" wheel choice. IMO, they look oversized on these cars. There are plenty of tire choices in 16", and they seem to have a more balanced look. I think this is particularly true of long hood or backdated cars. Out here in SoCal, 15" and 16" wheels are the normal choice among most hot rodded or sporting cars. Just something to consider.
I would like to stay 16" but tire sizes seem very limited especially in aggressive street tires such as the rivals, re71, star spec, rs4, etc. Here is every 16" size listed on TireRack's website : 16" Tires. I'm currently running 245 and 225 RE-11's and would like to bump up to at least 265 in the rear.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Speed Metal Army General

I agree with the no backdate.. But 17's can be cool as heck! Yet another opinion haha! And yeas the tire sizes are more plentiful...I have some RS's and would love to rebarrel them with some wide 17's
Just never made it that far into finding a vendor to rebarrel em.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Yahh.
Good luck with the build. I’ve travelled a very similar path to you.
I had a 3.0, then changed over to a 3.6 that was rebuilt with Supertec headstuds, cup cams, titanium valve spring retainers, upgraded valve springs, new lighter rods, CP Pistons, ITBs etc etc.
I was going to use VEMS, but went in a different direction. I have a brand new VEMS ecu that has never been installed if you haven’t got yours yet.
I look forward to seeing your updates
Old 10-05-2018, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
good luck with build. as im building an 81 targa.
91 E34 M5
Old 10-06-2018, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuyc View Post
good luck with build. as im building an 81 targa.
good luck man!
Old 10-10-2018, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Looks like you have lots of things to do. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: