Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Getting air with fixed vent windows $20 fix

Finally, I've come up with something that works and doesn't look too bad imho. You may recognize the deflector for a home heat register, and the HF 2" suction cups. This is really just a prototype but its so good I may not develop it any further though I'm sure some of you could make something slicker. I simply took out the magnets, cut away some of the flange on the deflector and drilled a small hole in the side which I used to trap one of the little nubs that can be seen between the handles. Cool thing is you can still roll up the window and enough air can go through it that it doesn't get ripped off by the wind, well not up to 60 anyway... so far!. I had some trouble at first with the suction cups, they are pretty cheap and it's a little awkward trying to mount this affair, but with a clean window and a little fiddling it can be done. I figured the cups would come loose in a day or so but the thing has been on over a week now.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Love the ingenuity.

Check out my books on Amazon: Under Big Sky, and Achieving Lasting Happiness
Old 06-14-2018, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, but who drives under 60??

Seriously though, good to see the effort.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I mounted a small inline fan, Pegasus has one that blows many cubic feet per minute for under $50,
into the smuggler's compartment where it blows thru a hole onto my feet. Works great.
73 Targa (gone but not forgotten)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
I think you may find that the wind constantly blowing in your face will get old.

My wife has a Jeep Wrangler. I hate driving that thing with the window down. The wind comes off the big square side mirror and hits me in the side of the head the entire time. It's very annoying.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
My wife and I had many old VW bugs. The wing windows were fantastic cooling and we never became tired of using them. This is a great idea that I would pay for.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just keep a tether on it incase it starts to detach.
05 Jetta GLI
Old 06-15-2018, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I don't like to be naysayer, but this seems unsafe.

The deflector is a highly cambered, low speed airfoil. In the process of deflecting air into your passenger compartment, it is also developing lift that is trying to pull the contraption away from the car. (The two go together - Newton's 2nd Law.)

Try riding in the passenger's seat and holding that deflector out the right side of the car in a similar position while the car is driven at whatever maximum speed you would drive with the deflector mounted. You will be surprised at the lift and drag forces produced.

With only a two HF suction cups holding it, I fear that thing will eventually fly off when you are driving at speed. That could be very bad news for a motorcyclist behind you. Or - god forbid - it could hit another Porsche.

How about some sort device that securely clamps to the wing window?
Old 06-15-2018, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
A motorcyclist ? Really? They same guys that that drive down between cars at 50 mph on the freeway ? The same guys that do wheelies and endanger everyone? This deflection device is a great idea! Just needs more work.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Can we avoid degrading and stereotyping motorcycle riders and stick to the topic?
Old 06-15-2018, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
I applaud the ingenuity on this but i think you'd be better off just installing some vent windows from an older 911. I recently did this and I'm never going back! they are so convenient for directing air in or deflecting it past the side windows. Not sure why they went out of fashion.

Last edited by pampadori; 06-15-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
installing some vent windows from an older 911
where did you get the parts? I have also considered replacing the rear quarter windows with the pop-out.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Interesting story: Porsche decided to discontinue vent wings after several executive Porsches were stolen at an event at Monza.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I got the parts from a combination of places. eBay, pelican classifieds, and DC Auto in North Carolina. I found some other ones by searching the diamantlers sites like car-part.com but was trying to find the best prices.
I have a targa so not sure if that makes it easier to source or harder. Not super cheap but about $150 per side
Old 06-17-2018, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Parts and components needed.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampadori View Post
I got the parts from a combination of places. eBay, pelican classifieds, and DC Auto in North Carolina. I found some other ones by searching the diamantlers sites like car-part.com but was trying to find the best prices.
I have a targa so not sure if that makes it easier to source or harder. Not super cheap but about $150 per side

Pampadori,

I have a 78 Targa and interested in converting the side glass windows like yours. What components do I need to source for this project. Thanks.

Tony
Old 06-17-2018, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to Nick for correctly perceiving the intent of my post! An idea that needs more work, But now that its hot out it makes a huge difference, A black interior is a beast in the sun. Clearly the mount has limitations, but I haven't lost it yet. it would be nice if there was more adjustment of the angle. There are miniature bar clamps that I have been playing with too, but they do block the window from being raised. somebody out there can figure out something better I'm sure, In the meantime, it's working for me.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I remember many trips in my old bugs and how great the wing windows were when it was hot. You could just blast your face!!! I think they kept me cooler than a properly working 911 ac!! This is a great idea
Old 06-17-2018, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I just remove the clock when I want airflow

(I love the experiment though)
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 06-17-2018, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Love the homebrew stuff ! Recently made my own radio delete plate from a piece of foam backed cardboard.

Speaking of bugs, this looks like it will direct them to your face
Old 06-17-2018, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyt911sc View Post
Pampadori,

I have a 78 Targa and interested in converting the side glass windows like yours. What components do I need to source for this project. Thanks.

Tony
Most listings that I found we're for complete windows with frames. The glass is either tinted green or clear. The frame includes the triangle around the glass and the long side of the triangle will actually extend down into the door frame and connect low within the door behind the speaker. You need all of that. The felt window guide channel is the same for fixed and open windows so you can reuse yours. However, the seal for the wing window is available new still and is a good idea if you have the extra funds to replace it. These things are old by now and dry and cracked.
Here is a picture of the complete setup you need per side:

Old 06-18-2018, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: